Graphics attributes of plant symbols disappeared

I am having a nightmare trying to complete a planting plan.

I am importing existing plant symbols from other files, incl from a My Resources folder. When I import and place many of these symbols they either have no visible 2d graphics (even when I try to edit these) or the graphics just disappear after a time. This icludes both colour fills and whole symbol disappearing.

Mass plants option is tuned off.

Am also getting an error message concerning a General Failure to open a File.

This is very frustrating and I hop e someone can help me as VW is becoming unworkable - I can't afford to spend all day on one simple planting plan!

- see attached screenshots.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Normally this happens if the plants geometry component classes are turned off, but not the overall plant class. If you copy and paste one of those plants into a new document, do you see the geometry, or do you get a warning about pasting invisible classes?

The I/O error most commonly comes when trying to work off of a server, is that the case in your setup right now? If you close Vectorworks, then move the file to you desktop and then open it from there, does the same error keep popping up?

Jim - you are a star, at least in part!

The plant geometry component classes had somehow turned themselves off, when turned back on the graphics reappeared. So that's solved that one, thanks.

The i/o error is still happening though. I am not using a server, the file is on my hard drive, I did move it

to the desktop but, as expected, this has no effect.

Any idea?

Jim

The I/O error pops up at regular intervals when the file is open. There is a pdf file imported on to one of the layers, but I have deleted and re-imported this since I moved the main file, so it should have the right location reference, but might this cause the problem? Not sure what the different reference paths mean on import actually, absolute or otherwise, can you explain, if you have time?

Thanks.

Edited by jeremyb
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Relative - means that if you reference a file that was in the same folder as the VWX file for instance, moving these two files together regardless of the location, will allow the reference to keep working as long as the referenced file is in the same location relative (thus the name) to it's original location. This is the option you want if you intend to move the files together later, to another person's computer for instance.

Absolute - means if you reference a file on the desktop, it will always look at EXACTLY that place on the desktop for the file, no matter where you move the file you referenced it into. But, if you moved these files to someone else's desktop, it would not work, because it is looking for HD:Users:YOURUSERNAME:Desktop specifically and on another person's machine that path would be different.

If you delete the PDF entirely, then close and reopen the Vectorworks file, does the I/O error stop appearing?

• 4 weeks later...