Swale in Site Model

We've seen some posts wishing for method to make a swale or other depression following a site model surface. This video example is a step in that direction by altering the source data.

I used offset tool for a constant width at surface. But outlines can be any shapes with varying width and depth. This process alters the source geometry. So is not parametric, or "smart". Nor differentiated between existing and proposed - no spoils or cut fill, or other data. But it does not rely on a progression of pads with graders.

Video critics will note that the site model creation at 02:09 was apparently done by magic. It's actually very special Vectorworks Magic that you can try at home: Select all the 3d poly contours, then AEC>Terrain>Create Site Model. Video critics will note lots of other things, too. I will take my lumps as they arrive.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15322&filename=Swale.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

Fantastic Benson...I've been trying to work with swales for sometime. Thank you very much for posting that excellent video. I like the approach and had not considered it...it would be great to a water surface within the swale, could one use 3d loci to establish a consitant 3d polygon?

Edited by J. Wallace

For a water surface, I suggest use the inner and outer 3d polygons, the ones used as paths for the loci:

•Engage the Loft Tool (1st mode). Click the end of each poly. Choose the Save Curves option.

•Result is a NURBS Surface.

•Add a water texture NURBS surface.

•Move the surface down a few inches.

•Problem with this is a subtle tilt across the swale, matching the site model slope.

For a more level surface pick one of the polys (path), draw a level 3d poly slightly wider than the swale (profile), then Extrude Along Path with options for hold position of profile parallel to layer plane. Edit the EAP profile and move the profile so end point is on the path. Texture the new surface, Adjust z value down as needed.

Edit - Actually I can't make the EAP perform as required. The plane control holds the extrude perpendicular to the ground plane. (Who ever needs that? It should be parallel to ground plane, or, better, user defined).

Also, The three 3d polys (inner, outer, bottom) can be lofted to form a solid which determines the volume of the swale.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

Update for adding a water surface to the swale:

This seems really arcane or complex with too many steps for a common landscape feature - ditches, swales, ruts, tracks, even roads and walks with non paralell edges - any depression which crosses several contours.

I will put in some wishes.

Or perhaps others have worked out something more elegant?

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15337&filename=SwaleWater.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

This one is set up for a Loft/Birail Sweep. Use the edges of the "ladder" in the video as the rails - they are already NURBS curves. Create a 2d poly profile curve representing the cross section of the concrete trough/swale. Convert that to NURBS and move/rotate it so that it is standing plumb and snapped to the ends of the rails. It will locate at bottom of the ditch in this sample, so move up to surface.

If you just want a concrete thing integrated into the surface, skip the whole ditch process of the 3d loci and clipping the contours. Start with ground plane path of the trough/swale, send to surface, then a line to Duplicate Along Path to make the ladder rungs, then snap NURBS edges on both sides of the "ladder". BiRail sweep the profile along those rails.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15351&filename=ConcSwaleSetup.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15352&filename=ConcSwale.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15353&filename=ConcSwaleWater.png

Edited by Benson Shaw