Smarter Wall Framer

Tom Klaber

Question

I love the concept of the wall framer - but in practicality - because it does not distinguish between wall types - it is hard to find a use for it.

This could be HUGELY helpful if VW could spit out framing plans that related to wall types. Right now - VW lays down an 2x4 or 2x6 regardless of the wall. Rather it would be great if the wall components could have a frame settings that tell VW if that component should be framed - and what to frame it with (metal stud, wood stud, hat channel, or generic to match thickness of component.

This would also help because there are many times where the finish assemblies are not the same and so the stud centerline is not the same as the centerline of the entire wall assembly. This would allow VW to spit out construction ready framing plans that if trusted and linked to the model - would save a ton of time on site.

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Don't worry, as long as it goes in the Wishlist thread I'll grab it, I just have to juggle things quite a bit with new duties still shifting around. (Hopefully they'll get me some minions! I need minions.)

And certainly don't think I don't consider this a priority, but with the way the development cycle works here, anything I file today would work its way into the cycle just as fast as if i submit it in the next two months. I don't mean to brush away the wish at all, just that this one I want to flesh out a bit more and it'll take longer than say, the EAP alignment wish from Benson I filed earlier today.

On 9.05.2016 at 11:47 PM, Tom Klaber said:

I love the concept of the wall framer - but in practicality - because it does not distinguish between wall types - it is hard to find a use for it.

This could be HUGELY helpful if VW could spit out framing plans that related to wall types. Right now - VW lays down an 2x4 or 2x6 regardless of the wall. Rather it would be great if the wall components could have a frame settings that tell VW if that component should be framed - and what to frame it with (metal stud, wood stud, hat channel, or generic to match thickness of component.

This would also help because there are many times where the finish assemblies are not the same and so the stud centerline is not the same as the centerline of the entire wall assembly. This would allow VW to spit out construction ready framing plans that if trusted and linked to the model - would save a ton of time on site.

i second this wish. in poland there are walls that have wooden or metal frames in the thickness of the construction core (be it concrete or masonry), with thermal insulation outside and the plaster or gypsum cardboard inside. it'd be helpful to be able to calculate all elements separately, just for 5d in bim :)

thanks.

Edited by gester

It would be brilliant for Slabs and Roofs as well if a component could be a framed zone instead of a solid mass.

Better again if these zones were "lazy generation" so walls using them didn't become as slow and unworkable as the current framed walls.

Stretch goal - Infill sub-component(s) for glass or insulation between the framing members.

I mean being able to draw four walls. Associate a floor slab, and roof with them then get a credible section in minutes would be a dream.

Edited by Matt Overton

There is a clear need for an ability to draw walls as panels. This method of production is common in Europe and increasingly so elsewhere. We are seeing a move towards factory production using SIPS panels  and its worth noting that this is available as a plug in Autocad. Unfortunately when I raised this NVI some time ago it was deemed not necessary. Go figure!

Edited by BillV
On 5/10/2016 at 9:47 AM, Tom Klaber said:

Rather it would be great if the wall components could have a frame settings that tell VW if that component should be framed - and what to frame it with (metal stud, wood stud, hat channel, or generic to match thickness of component

On the back of the awesome Autoturn partnership - if interoperability with something like Framecad would if at all possible would be a way to not have to spend resource time on the inbuilt framer tool for light steel framing.

• Like 1