Stopping auto 3D generation

Is there any way to keep VW 2016 from creating 3D entities from things I draw in 2D? I'll draw a bunch of circles, squares, etc. and then I go into an isometric view and they are all dimensionless, 3D versions of the 2D objects I intended. Very bothersome. Does it have something to do with the bug that causes VW to switch randomly from "Screen View Only" back to the other views? (Both of which I really wish I could banish forever.)

Thanks,

MHBrown

Try drawing your circles, squares, etc. in "Screen Plane" mode rather than "Layer Plane" mode. In Layer Plane mode 2D objects are created as "Planar Objects," which have a 3D position associated with them. If drawn as Screen Plane objects, they will always be parallel to the screen, regardless of your 3D view. HTH

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

^This is the best recommendation.

All objects in Vectorworks are functionally in 3D space, even "2D" geometry has a Z value even if it doesn't display it, its just "0" and then a planar direction is set depending on the view the object was made in.

Thanks. I think because VW slips out of "Screen Plane Only" mode so often I must be making my 2D objects at that time. This is a very new part of VW. In past versions, 2D entities stayed 2D. Not all objects had "...functionality in 3D space," they would politely wait for me to decide. I always work in "Screen Plane Only" although I do all my work in 3D. I'd like to remove the other two options if I could. Is there a way to convert these dimensionless objects back in to 2D? That would be very helpful.

MHB

I had the "same" problem in early VW 2016,

that sometimes 2D geometry creation switched to being no more "3D", or better by Layer.

Or create by all "Attributes by Class" setting was forgotten.

Can't remember having had these things since SP3 (?)

MHB, you are suffering from one or more bugs that change your Plane Mode preference. The one I experience constantly is that whenever I edit the clip object in a viewport, the preference toggles out of my preferred setting, "Screen Plane Only." I have set up a shortcut key to go to file preferences, and every time I edit a clip I have to go in and reset the preference. This is VW2015, I haven't done enough work with 2016 to know if that particular bug has been fixed.

NNA, please track down these bugs and fix them! And BTW, I'm experiencing upgrade fatigue. I'd much rather have my yearly subscription in the form of service packs to add features - if the file format can be held constant, with a new executable issued, say, every 3 years. It's too much of a pain to translate all my resources, past projects from which I reuse elements, etc.

I had the "same" problem in early VW 2016,

that sometimes 2D geometry creation switched to being no more "3D", or better by Layer.

Or create by all "Attributes by Class" setting was forgotten.

Can't remember having had these things since SP3 (?)

^^^^ This happens to me all the time in SP3.

It's good to know it's a bug, but, really, why can't these be fixed in one of the constant so-called "service packs" that I'm bombarded with? Look at the bugs that have not been addressed: the data stamp no longer updates, trailer/leader notes don't work with secondary dimensions, and this crazy invasion of 3D dimensionless objects that should stay 2D, they all need to be fixed before new "features" are coded. This last problem is not even a bug, but rather yet another unfortunate unintended consequence of feature bloat. You know, NNA, you should NEVER issue updates based on a calendar date. You should only issue updates when you have a critical mass of new, useful features AND—more importantly—bug fixes. Pulling unwanted, unnecessary or trivial additions out of the blue and pasting them into VW just to rationalize a date on the calendar is a bad idea.

There are different cultures between software when tools are ready or how to

prioritize change requests.

And for SP's here,

as soon as you ask for bug fixing that means any changes in tool behavior like some

of your examples, these will be sorted as feature requests.

And it was decided that those will never happen between major releases for VW.

Beside fixing crashes in SP, the only changes in tool behavior could occur are when

a tool does not behave as it was on the design list.

So I would forget any SP's.

When my Cameras lose their position, it is very likely that I will get that fixed by a

SP, because no one put that behavior on a tool design list. At least I could not imagine.

That all does not explain why some really hard tool misbehaviors and even real bugs

on the very annoying or even embarrassing level, can survive a major upgrade.

Or many of these.