Architectural Fonts

I can't seem to find any info through the search so I hope some of you can offer some suggestions. I've recently switched from Mac OS 9 to OS X and from Vactorworks 8.5 to 10.2. I produce working drawings and have developed a standard (that I'm happy with) using Tekton fonts for general notes and dimensions and Graphite fonts for room names and title blocks. Both were of the MM type and I know now there are some issues with the older Multiple Master fonts and Vectorworks. I purchased both types years ago and it appears that Adobe itself may no longer support the MM type (looking on Adobe's website turns up references to Tekton MM and Graphite MM but to actually purchase the fonts only refers to the standard Tekton and Graphite). Aside from the cost of repurchasing a font I already purchased years ago, I am somewhat mystified at something that was "fixed" that wasn't really "broken". Why does my copy of Word X have no problem with these fonts and Vectorworks does?

Regardless, I need to get on with my business and work with what I've got (sorry for my rant). Tekton still works for me and Graphite will too, but I have to keep going back to changing the font style each time I revise a room name or title block (which is a pain). Does anyone have any suggestions for other Architectural-type fonts? (Just an idea but it would be nice if Vectorworks would provide a selection of Architectural style fonts for those of us who purchase Vectorworks Architect). Thanks for any input. [smile]

• 1 month later...

Like you, I have just upgraded, to an iMac 17", and am very unhappy that VW10 doesn't recognise my Tekton font - it's on the computer because it's available in Appleworks. It is such a beautiful font for architectural work, I can't understand why everyone doesn't use it, or why in fact it's not standard.

None of the VW10 fonts adequately replace Tekton, and I don't see why we can't use what we want and already have.

Did you manage to get a version imported?

Does NMA have a solution?

i want to add my 2 cents regarding fonts that attempt to look like architectural handwriting. this is a philosphical comment that goes back to my autocad days. although i think the arch. handwriting, when well done, looks really good, i am troubled by the use of computer fonts that attempt this look. i have always found it false, and somewhat old fashioned, that architects working on computers want their drawings to look hand drawn. in this sense, i have been using used a font (such as helvetica, univers or futura), that has a more neutral computer driven appearance, that still maintains legibility and good appearance. yes, these fonts were designed by hand by graphic desiogners, pre computer, but their appearance seem more at home on computers. this is not to down play the problem mentioned above with imcompatibility of fonts, but to express a different viewpoint to architects who like hand drawn appearing (which i think graphite and tekton do) characters.

JM, yes and no. My two cents: It is very important to me that my drawings do two things: 1) Convey to the client and the builder an accurate (and buildable!) depiction of the project, (in this I am not alone) and 2) to look graphically fantastic and artistic (this is how I set myself apart from many other designers). When I use Helvetica, or Futura, etc my drawings just look dry and blocky, like (and I hope I dont offend anyone here!) an engineer's structural sheet. Those fonts just won't "sing" no matter how hard you play 'em. That is why I like to use "hand drawn" fonts...

Peter Cipes

Thanks for the responses.

I prefer the hand drawn look, I totally agree with Peter Cipes, and so do clients who have commented on the font. I actually think it's easier to read as well.

Katie, you're quite right, although the old font appeared in Appleworks it wouldn't print out, so it's useless. Adobe has Tekton in Open Type format for $US35, so I'm going to buy and install it.

Thanks for the responses.

I prefer the hand drawn look, I totally agree with Peter Cipes, and so do clients who have commented on the font. I actually think it's easier to read as well.

Katie, you're quite right, although the old font appeared in Appleworks it wouldn't print out, so it's useless. Adobe has Tekton in Open Type format for $US35, so I'm going to buy and install it.

MM fonts are not supported by the OS.

You can contact Adobe as to why they aren't. I believe the reasoning behind is just plain ol technology. OS 10 is very advanced .. where some of the older fonts were created with minimal resources.

The problem with font problems are most of the fonts under OS 10 require several types of fonts in the font folder or font suitcase. When one of these components is missing, font porblems can occur such as printing or diplay issues.

There are a number of font utilities out there that can diagnose the fonts on the computer and determine if components are missing in the event of using a font suitcse.

You may not see a problem in programs like word since they use printing mechanisms not related to print mechanisms with CAD programs.

You should see the problem universally, if you don't .. you should at least see the problem in the majority of your OS 10 programs.

There are tekton and graphite fonts available for OS 10 .. you can inquire with Adobe about it.

Peter:

I agree with you. Fonts form an important part of the finished product - the proper type of font can make the drawing look better and be easier to read. That is why I've used the Tekton font ever since it first appeared some 10 or 12 years ago and the Graphite font seemed the perfect companion font when it came out, naturally heavier and bolder yet of a similar style without being the same.

Katie:

I still think this "problem" with the fonts is still mostly with Vectorworks. My version of Word X has no problem with the Multiple Master fonts both on screen and printed and if the can do it why can't...?. It still seems strange to me that another program written native OSX has no problem with the fonts. Interestingly I tried to do a font comparison in TextEdit and found that it gave me a pop-up menu showing the fonts typeface and family with the MM fonts showing only the one family and the one typeface "plain" whereas in Vectorworks and Word X it shows all the fonts in one pull-down menu. Hopefully, the release of Panther with fix some of these idiosyncracies.