Remove Horizon From Perspective Rendering?

Guest Wes Gardner

You can use an HDRI White Background or you can create a background or you can import an image and use it as a background

I think what Bruce is asking has to do with the images that are used to create various different RW's Background. See the little attachment. Note that the HDRI resource uses an image that has a distinct separation between earth and sky. And that line (the "horizon") is set at some arbitrary height. Unfortunately the only way to alter where that line shows up in a final rendering is to change the 'view from' (or camera) height. Not a very easy or precise method. Note also that the Physical Sky resource has only sky, and no earth (or ground). What would be ideal would be a resource with an easily adjustable horizon line. Of course you could create your own and by trial and error you could adjust the height of the line. But that seems like a really long way to go...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I use almost exclusively sky only backgrounds for this reason. The only time I generally keep a background with a ground segment is if the image is a specific place I want the model to appear. Either that or you construct an actual ground for the model to reside on, this is often the best option if you want to include views out of windows that show the landscape beyond.

The ground/sky combination backgrounds provide a more realistic lighting tone/color however if your shots are angled such that you are looking upwards at the model as well as the sky.