Opening more than one file in Vectorworks 2016

Hello,

The Vectorworks programs running in our office (all Vectorworks 2016) doesn't seem to be able to open multiple files at once. This is handy because sometimes it is useful to copy and paste objects/text/etc from previous files.

Vectorworks 2015 was ok with multiple files opening at one time.

Is there a setting I can turn on or off to make Vectorworks 2016 do the same?

Thank you for your input in advance :)

You can open multiple files but you can't see them with Palette docking on. You can switch between files using Command ~ (top left hand corner of the keyboard below the ESC key) or by choosing the file name at the bottom of the Window menu. If you turn off the two palette docking options (Window>Palettes>) things will work as they did in VW2015.

I believe this will be resolved in VW2017.

Kevin

You won't lose much when deactivating palette docking so you can access

your files like before VW 2016.

For me it is ok to use the short cut CMD+< to cycle through files on OS X

(Should be CMD+` on an US keyboard, the key right from the left SHIFT key)

The short cut was lost and came back again with 2016 SP3 (?). So if it won't

work you will need to install the latest SP.

There is one other solution to this problem. With VW's Palette Docking active, you can still keep multiple files in the Mac OS Dock. You just need to remember to Dock file A before undocking file B. It is somewhat annoying, because the previous functionality was easier, with less clicks. But I do like the new (on Mac) Palette Docking functionality too. So I've learned to adapt...

There is one other solution to this problem. With VW's Palette Docking active, you can still keep multiple files in the Mac OS Dock. You just need to remember to Dock file A before undocking file B. It is somewhat annoying, because the previous functionality was easier, with less clicks. But I do like the new (on Mac) Palette Docking functionality too. So I've learned to adapt...

Great tip Peter!

KM