A basic 2D Vectorworks.

AW@WAdesign

Question

I wish VW offered a simple, 2D drafting program as part of their suite of software products. Super simple, no BIM, no 3D. I use classes, design layers, and sheet layers to organize architectural drawing sets composed mostly of (gasp) lines and polygons with (gasp gasp) no 3D elements at all...

Over the years I've watched my computing power get exponentially faster while my drawings have bogged down and performed poorly. I presume this is because they are enhanced with a significant amount of robust 3D power--that I never use.

I've worked at four architecture firms in the SF Bay Area that have used various MiniCAD and VectorWorks versions over the course of 10 years. Not one has used 3D or BIM as a significant part of their workflow. I think there's a market for a lean, fast, efficient 2D drafting program for Mac based firms. If VW decides to offer it, please sign me up.

Thanks,

Andy

1 answer to this question

Andy - most of the firms I have worked at issued exclusively in 2D. Even so - those "BIM" tools actually offer a 2D drafting efficiency gains. I am not even talking about scheduling doors - it is just a faster way to draw - even if you never access the embedded information.

Do not think of the wall tool and door tool as 3D tools - think of them as 2D tools - you might be pleasantly surprised.