A few post Summit 2016 Suggestions I forgot to mention there......

Rossford

Question

1. - WYSIWYG, true type font in the Text menu. If I want to select, say "Toledo" font, why can't the list of fonts show what it might look like when I scroll through?

2. Import Mr. SID files, so often used by GIS dept. in cities.

3. General GUI graphic upgrade. Without changing tools or functions, why can't the area look a little more up to date, similar to Windows 10, etc., with different background colors than 1990's grey, tiles instead of floating tool icons, and other 2017 look? How can VW be the hippest design program around without a hipper GUI, to match it's logos, etc.?

4. - Not forgotten at meeting, but Landmark needs a drainage tool not unlike the new irrigation tool. It almost seems like the calculation functionality is there with just a few tweaks.

5. - Would like a "handle" to be able to stretch only portions of group of 2D polyline in Bezier mode. My work flow often starts with offsetting several of these for landforms and grading (Eric Gilbey demonstrated this basic technique in a VW video last year) However, the "magic" of grading is wobbling slopes, with some areas stretched to soften slopes, some steeper. Using only off set tool, all slopes are 5 to 1 (or whatever) and it's a pain to stretch each one individually to drag out a slope. Seems this type of functionality is available in NURBS maybe? Could be used in 2D, no?

Thanks for listening.....

7 answers to this question

1. - WYSIWYG, true type font in the Text menu. If I want to select, say "Toledo" font, why can't the list of fonts show what it might look like when I scroll through?

Only if it is an option, even though today's computers are fast enough to handle this it also causes some clutter that not everyone would like to have.

2. Import Mr. SID files, so often used by GIS dept. in cities.

+1, as well as importing ECW files

3. General GUI graphic upgrade. Without changing tools or functions, ...

Well.... it may look a bit old school but I actually like it as it is quite clear and uncluttered compared to some of the fancier 2016 era GUI's. I think the Windows 10 look is not the best as it does have its downsides when it comes to icon and menu(bar) separation, sometimes it is really hard to see what you are clicking on. So a GUI change/update is for me way down on the list compared to other needed improvements.

4. - Not forgotten at meeting, but Landmark needs a drainage tool not unlike the new irrigation tool. It almost seems like the calculation functionality is there with just a few tweaks.

5. - Would like a "handle" to be able to stretch only portions of group of 2D polyline in Bezier mode.

+1

It is already possible by using the reshape tool for 2D polylines but I can imagine that a bit finer control may be welcome.

Art,

"+1

It is already possible by using the reshape tool for 2D polylines but I can imagine that a bit finer control may be welcome."

What I need is to be able to stretch multiple parallel 2D polys. Unless I am missing something, I have to stretch one at a time. Say I want one side of a mound I am drawing to be 5 to 1 but another to be 6:1. When I offset an existing poly, I need to adjust the one side, copy, and then adjust that one too.

I would prefer to grab nodes on the side I want to stretch and pull them all out to 6 to 1, if that makes sense.

Art,

"+1

It is already possible by using the reshape tool for 2D polylines but I can imagine that a bit finer control may be welcome."

What I need is to be able to stretch multiple parallel 2D polys. Unless I am missing something, I have to stretch one at a time. Say I want one side of a mound I am drawing to be 5 to 1 but another to be 6:1. When I offset an existing poly, I need to adjust the one side, copy, and then adjust that one too.

I would prefer to grab nodes on the side I want to stretch and pull them all out to 6 to 1, if that makes sense.

I made a short video of what I meant. The movie had to be put into a zip file because it was just a little bit too large for attaching here.

If this is not what you meant please feel free to clarify further.

Art,

Thanks and helpful. Will experiment and use.

However, it does appear those offset polys are all still the same distance apart, no? If the others were 15 feet apart, I would like to be able to stretch that section to 20 or 25 feet apart to vary the slope of the contours.

Is that possible?

Yes the offsets remain the same if you drag them simultaneously. You may want to experiment with the various UIOP settings to see if that could make enough of a difference though I think what you want may require a feature request, e.g. a drag and scale combination.