clip cube

i have used this to create plan and elevational viewports

but am having problems with an isometric view

basically i want to show the client a view from above with the roof of to show them the general layout

i guess i could turn the class of but is there a way to do this with the clip cube

thanks

Clip Cube works well in 3D too for presentation and modeling.

For houses with more than 1 Story,

I have an own Layer for each Story and the floor slab and floor always included

in that Layer, while the ceiling or roof is always on the Layer above.

(Opposite to what many Revit users do)

That makes it easy to work on one Story only with Layer Visibilities or to view the

complete Layout from above.

So my Wall Components will all stop at the ceiling slab but outer Components may

extend downwards to cover the floor slab. This way you have a clear cutting boarder

between Stories and a clean look.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Clip Cube can also be included in Saved Views, once you set the slip cube up the way you like, save a view including the "Restore View Orientation" option (I think thats the one that controls it) and it will reshape and re-enable the Clip Cube view to the objects you had it focused on when you saved the view.

jim

attached is the clip cubed image

i want to create a viewport to show the cutaway

i am having problems i saved the view as you suggested and ticked the boxes

but on my viewport i can't seem to see the clipped image

i know its something simple but can't seem to make it work

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you want to have it in a Viewport you wont be able to use Clip Cube, it can create sections but to use the Saved View trick you'd have to use it in the design layer viewport and then make a second viewport of that viewport that resides on the sheet layer..

In a single viewport, I would just recommend disabling the classes for the roof and geometry covering the floors you wish to show as you mentioned initially.

You can generate a horizontal section from the clip cube -

When you've got the clip cube active and set as you want, highlight the relevant cutting face so it glows red, and right-click to get the menu that offers "create section viewport" and create a viewport on a *design layer*.

Then you should be able to create a sheet layer viewport, which is a view of that design layer viewport, which I think is what you're after.

So we have to create a viewport of a viewport to achieve this, as far as I know, which is kind of typical vectorworks clunkiness but maybe some day this process will become more intuitive.

Thanks so can you then set a camera angle to show this in a viewport?

This is where it gets a bit confusing; the "viewport" on the design layer is not really what I'd think of as a "viewport" because it doesn't have a flattened, fixed view - it is more like a 3d object that you can rotate around etc. So, you can move around to get your desired view, then create your sheet layer viewport from this - which is then a snapshot of that view.

This sheet layer viewport is a normal viewport - a fixed view on the sheet. As for how you then adjust the view angle - there is a clunky "set view" option in the viewport info box which doesn't seem of any real use to me.

I think you can maybe associate the view with a camera and then adjust it by adjusting the camera...this is something I've yet to get my head around completely and maybe someone else can give you clearer advice.

A couple of observations:

You are asking for a 3d clipped Viewport. This isn't possible. Yet.

(see Jim's Response above)

You can get the look you want by controlling the visibility of objects through classes.

But, if you want a 3d perspective of a clipped object this can be done quickly and easily by creating a horizontal Section Viewport from an Front View and changing its Projection in the OIP to Perspective, Oblique Cabinet or Oblique Cavalier.

Thanks so can you then set a camera angle to show this in a viewport?

I believe (unless there is another way I am unaware of) that you can only get the section. Any added cameras would give you that particular camera view with no section at all (either from the camera angle or from an elevation).

Classes to turn on/off only afaik

I might have misunderstood what the OP is after, but see attached which is a screenshot from a sheet layer, on which I've got 3 viewports, each showing a section view generated via the clip cube.

2 of them are the same vertical section cut but viewed from different angles.

The other one is a vertical section cut, of the same model.

The right one is what many are looking for.

There are also threads on the german forum.

And there seem to be lacking a direct way in VW,

while I also doubt the given example images brought by users where

done in other Software in one go either.

Your middle right example of those 3,

the one with the horizontal section is something many people are interested in.

In a Viewport,

or at least somehow on a Sheet Layer.

Similar to what the Clip Cube does in Design Layer Views.

Something that I thought you have done by combining 3 Layers of Viewports for each ?

Looks like I was wrong ?

Just one VP from a Clip Cubed Section ?

Didn't know you can Rotate a Section in a Section Viewport.

No, they are all viewports on the same sheet layer.

Created as I described in post #227168 above.

You make the design layer "viewport" on a design layer, and then you can choose your viewpoint, and make a sheet layer viewport from that.

To check they are "live" I edited the model, adding in a few more doors at random....then going back to the sheet layer and updating those 3 viewports gives me this:

Not being smart here but I can't see how to get the viewport on the SL. I have the DL viewport but if I use View > Create Viewport from the DL viewport then it doesn't work - on the SL the section has gone and on the original object remains.

What am I missing?

thanks

Not being smart here but I can't see how to get the viewport on the SL. I have the DL viewport but if I use View > Create Viewport from the DL viewport then it doesn't work - on the SL the section has gone and on the original object remains.

What am I missing?

thanks

Have you checked it isn't creating the new SL viewport exactly on top of an existing one? This confused me for a bit. Maybe create a new blank SL and create it on there.