Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Is there a way to access the parameters of a built-in PIO/ Tool?

Hello,

I'd like to have access to a parameter of the built in dimensioning tool:

When I activate a linear dimension, object info palette shows mit the length of the dimensioning as a parameter.

Is there a way to retrieve this information via Vectorscript or with a function in a spreadsheet report?

Thanks for help

VvierA

Yes and no.

The OIP fields are not always bound to parameters. If they are, you can acces them the same way you acces record parameters. The record name will be the parametric object's name.

I don't think unbound field can be retrieved in any way, but they likely don't hold the information you need.

I've written a tool to find out which parameters belong to which object, but it will only work on parametric objects or symbols. Some of the native objects like the lineair dimension are something special and won't work with it, still it is very handy as it also shows hidden records and IFC records.

You could try exporting a single lineair dimension and look at the VS code how these settings are saved. Some might be parameters, others might be properties etc etc...

@Hippocode

Thanks for the helpful and interesting info.

Can I ask you how to export a single linear dimension? I haven't done that yet...

And another question...

Is your tool 'standalone' or do I need to purchase one of your plugin sets?

Thanks again,

VvierA

@Hippocode

Thanks for the helpful and interesting info.

Can I ask you how to export a single linear dimension? I haven't done that yet...

1) Open an empty drawing.

2) Place one lineair dimension and setup some settings in the OIP. Specifically those that you want to control by script. Give them a value you can recognize in the code.

3)Under the export options, you have "Script" or "Vectorscript" which saves a VS file that can recreate your current drawing.

Open the text file in any editor and look what kind of code creates and sets the lineair dimension.

4) In case the code isn't clear, repeat the steps above but with different settings in the OIP. Compare both text files and you will understand the differences.

And another question...

Is your tool 'standalone' or do I need to purchase one of your plugin sets?

Thanks again,

VvierA

None of the tools are available standalone. There are 2 bundles, one cheap and one very cheap . The latest is a must have for any dedicated VW user.

Both contain the organization objects plug-in.

@Hippocode

The hint with exporting as a script file is really great.

It didn't help me to solve my problem, but I think this method can be very helpful in lots of 'programming' situations.

And of course I will consider purchasing one of your plugin bundles. They look very interesting too.