hidden line horsepower?

TimG

what hardware relates to speeding up the hidden line renderings on my computer?

I've tweaked custom rendtrworks setting enough with helidons, enviromental lights, shadows, etc so that it looks great, and relatively fast to render (30seconds +/-)

but hidden line renderings take 10-15 minutes still... just curious to what is behind that hardware wise if Jim or anyone else knows...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Nothing at the moment will help hardware-wise. Hidden Line graphically is multithreaded, but the geometry phase it uses is still single-core for now and makes up the majority of the time a HL rendering takes.

It is however, directly CPU based in the resources it needs, but it is unlikely you will see dramatic changes across different CPUs.

Yes. Its a big one, its KINDA related to the VGM improvements but its a little more complex. Its basically a huge overall task that is being done in phases each designed to convey direct benefits as well as advance the overall task since it can't be done in a single version.

From what I understand, yes. Once geometry calculations become multithreaded, not only will they be cancel-able (Since the cancel action doesnt have to live in the same thread as the calculation. This is basically what happens now, VW cant hear your commands because it can only focus on one thing at a time when doing geometry calc) but also directly benefit from superior hardware.

It is almost literally tied to everything. This is one of the main reasons it has taken so many years, we decided to start working towards it awhile ago and have been doing so ever since.

Even more good news: development on VGM and multithreading is also directly tied to multiple views being all shown onscreen at once in realtime. So yet another one of the things that have been long requested gets closer with the work being done now.

Take your time until it is ready.

So that we can work across views while in current tool mode.

Multi View Windows aren't very urgent for me.

Working in one Window only, with the help of Num Pad, Clip Volume and Layer/Class System

works much better than I initially thought.

But for the beginning,

being able to do things like scrolling in Navigation Palette, after I opened the "New Class"

Edit Window, because I meanwhile have forgotten which Class I miss and want to create,

or switching Classe Visibilities/Pan View while editing a Materials,

would be really great.