Bending a tube extrusion

PonyB

Easiest might be to make the tube with an Extrude Along Path (EAP). Draw a path object, such as a 2d polyline or a 3d polyline with curves or bends where you want them, and a profile object, such as a square or the cross section of your tube.

Select both and from the Model Menu choose Extrude Along Path. The path object should highlight red. If not, click the arrows near top of the dialog box until the path is highlighted. Then click the OK button or press Return.

Another way is with the Deform tool in the Solids Model tool set. Lots to explain, but Help and existing online videos show how to use it. (esp Alan Woodell's)

Post back with questions.

-B

Jim,

Nice simple and clear video on the use of this tool.

I mentioned earlier that along with the help from the VW screen a short video link at each of these topics are (to me at least) more helpful than reading through the text.

The text should stay but the video links should go in.

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Agreed and luckily the Tech Publications team agrees too! This will be happening as time goes on, I do not know if it will be tied to the major version releases but we already have items on the video production schedule to be placed into the VW Help.

I think some are just going to get simple gif examples and others will be getting the full 101 videos.

Nice simple and clear video on the use of this tool.

INDEED !

I tried that tool one time but didn't get it to work.

After the Video its so easy.

1. Select object

2. Set origin

3. Set 1st (reference/start) point

4. Set 2nd (end) point

OK, these steps are shown in the U-I-O-P row beside the settings.

But I would like to see an overview over all steps at once, either in Tooltip

or by an extra Detailed Info Button.

(+ I think all U-Sub Tools of Deform Tool deserver their own Icons

+ all Commands in general should be available by Icons)

Jim, thanks for the video links, they make it a lot easier to understand how it works.

Maybe you could do this for all tools using all settings to show how things work?

The help file has improved a lot but there are still times when I get a bit stuck because some details are not mentioned or that things work slightly different than one might think based on the text of the help file. Having videos showing how a tool works might be a better solution at times than a blurb of text.

Jim,

I agree with Zoomer. The first video was great because it showed the desktop and you can see the mouse working over the relevant icons as lot of people still don't know there way around the desktop.

The second video production loses this simplicity. You need to use the "KISS" logic in these productions as it is so much clearer.

Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

See now, you all are going to make the video production aspect of my job too easy.

I have peen pushing recently for us to move away from the scripted method for some video production, since it takes on average about 5X as long as the quick stuff. This seems to be going well so I will keep up the push.

Such a video says more than every text wall.

I see more types of videos.

The example above = Tool Video :

To explain how every Tool works in every Step.

Link in Help file (+ link in Tool Tips ?)

Tutorial Videos :

Story telling, about which tools available and common used for Fundamental/Arch/Spot/Land

projects as an overview.

How To's :

Specific tasks and the creative use of tools and alternatives.

Things that users often ask or have problems with.

Like modeling a Cupboard by using the Curtain Wall Tool, or Walls and Slabs, or

Extrudes, or ...

Or a bent Wall - Wall Tool makes always upright Walls, so we use Wall Projections,

or bend Extrudes, or extrude a special Profile along Path, ... , and set IFC tags manually, ...

In a way that the Videos can be searched.

An a search for Wall will give

Tool Videos; Straight Wall Video 1-4 + Round Wall 1-3

Tutorial Videos; Walls 1-5 + Reports, Walls + ...

How To Videos; Bent Wall + Walls over more than 1 Story Layer + Create a Chair using Wall Tool + ...

Here are pretty old examples from the german VW Youtube channel.

More like Tips and Tricks than How To's, something you normally won't be searching for

because of current problems.

Quite impressive and entertaining. They work a lot with NURBS.

If you do not understand what he says or mute sound,

you will easily see what you miss or could be improved by mouse/tool highlighting

or zooming in details and such things.