3D modelling

Christiaan, thanks for sharing your window and door method. It works, but it's not parametric. Have you ever tried playing with Marionette or scripting to construct a parametric symbol? If I ever have a few days, I'm going to give that a try, based on your system.

I haven't, but that would be awesome. I'm very keen to learn Marionette but I'm so busy with other stuff I haven't had a chance yet.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my work is done in VW, the images shown are RAW renders, no PS retouching.

The water Bottles label is a NURBS surface wrapped around the main bottle with the texture mapped as Perimeter.

Tried using decal but was too much work to get the positioning right and it messed with the main bottle texture.

The label Texture itself is an image and transparency mask as JimW suggested.

Actually relatively straight forward to do.

The coffee boxes were a little more complicated as the internal and external textures are different and to achieve a more realistic look and I curved the box faces, but again once the main construction of the boxes is complete texturing was pretty simple.

just don't zoom in too much or you'll notice all the imperfections... haha

I did ask the same question some time ago apparently if you set everything in Vectorworks and render in c4d it renders exactly the same as would Vectorworks

Is this correct and if so how do you enhance the render in cd4

I was thinking of buying cd4 as a friend of mine says the renders in cd4 are far superior

I don't want to model in cd4 just render or will I just be wasting money

Has anyone got a comparison renders in the both programmes to make a comparison?

Hi Phil,

As soon as I have some test renders I will post them as I am working through that process at the moment.

After watching lots of tutes I have settled on the physical render (for a number of reasons - not least its a lot easier than the standard render) so we shall see how it goes but I fully expect 'much' higher quality renders.

just another point when saving a render in vw it allows you to save in a few formats

photoshop

tiff

jpegs

and so on

but i cant see the point of saving as a photoshop file as it just gives you a flattened image

most of my renders are in artlantis and when rendering to a photoshop file it gives you 5 layers and i use the material layer to pick a solid colour to give me a marquee which is so useful in post production

images attached.....

what format do most of you guys save as.......

i guess the render machine in vw does not allow for these layers to be separated

but it is so useful in post production

Bas

Do you set everything up in VW, lights, materials, cameras etc. then just render in C4D or do you set up the basics in VW then add stuff in C4D?

Also, do you use the physical or standard render in C4D?

Thanks

I model everything in VW, after that I send it to C4D. In C4D I do all the textures and lighting.

I prefer C4D for that, in my opinion its is easier to handle lighting and texures there (C4D doesnt import the texture, but is has a 'connection' to the image file, so much better!).

Besides that: allot of time I tweak the geometry of the scene a bit in C4D, or reuse an exicting scene.

The tweaking is really easy because you can drag 'points' in C4D.

So making a room twice as big, or a table 10cm shorter: done in 2 mins

Anonther reason to do everything in C4D are the different export options and possibility to export selection filters for PS.

I almost always use the psychical render. The last render is a combination of the sketch render and psychical render, and put together in PS.

Edited by Bas Vellekoop

C4D Prime works quite ok but gives error messages about the missing plugins.

To use the complete RW Feature Set without re-setting, Visualization Bundle

is needed.

Alternative is C4D Prime + VRAY4C4D.

Quality is higher, a lot of conversion needed and more complicated settings.

Steep learing curve.

Studio Bundle if you really want to work with C4D.

(MoGraph Cloner Tool !)

http://www.maxon.net/products/general-information/general-information/product-comparison.html

Bas

Do you set everything up in VW, lights, materials, cameras etc. then just render in C4D or do you set up the basics in VW then add stuff in C4D?

Also, do you use the physical or standard render in C4D?

Thanks

I model everything in VW, after that I send it to C4D. In C4D I do all the textures and lighting.

I prefer C4D for that, in my opinion its is easier to handle lighting and texures there (C4D doesnt import the texture, but is has a 'connection' to the image file, so much better!).

Besides that: allot of time I tweak the geometry of the scene a bit in C4D, or reuse an exicting scene.

The tweaking is really easy because you can drag 'points' in C4D.

So making a room twice as big, or a table 10cm shorter: done in 2 mins

Another reason to do everything in C4D are the different export options and possibility to export selection filters for PS.

I almost always use the psychical render. The last render is a combination of the sketch render and psychical render, and put together in PS.

Quoted for agreement. I use the physical render engine for everything - though, that said - there are exciting possibilities of using 3rd party render engines with Cinema for a different workflow (Octane, Thea, Arnold, and soon Redshift). Lighting a scene with almost real time, high quality feedback saves so much time and lets you make much more informed lighting decisions. Been exploring all of these lately and looking for one to focus in on.

Once you start lighting, texturing and doing camera work in Cinema, you'll never go back. I love VW and I model everything in it, but then I get into Cinema as quick as possible for renderings.

I love this workflow because I can do my plans, sections, and elevations in VW and the renders in Cinema - all from the same base model.

e.