High-res export of 3D views to .bmp, tiff, photoshop files?

Hey all--

I'm trying to export 3D views of my model to some other graphic format (whether it's bmp, tiff, psd, etc. I don't really care) so I can work on the view in Photoshop. It works fine, except the resulting image in Photoshop is really pixelated, and it doesn't seem to help to ratchet up the resolution (I compared exporting at 300 dpi to 600 dpi and there was no difference).

Is there some way I can do this and come out with a nice sharp image in Photoshop?

By the way, I'm running VW 9.0.1 on Mac OS 9.2. My version of Photshop is 5.0LE.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Andy

Andy,

I do this all the time, in fact I almost never print renderings out of Vw anymore. It's almost the same time to export an image as it is to print, and then afterwards you can print, manipulate easily instaid of waaaaaiting for the VW print engine to re-render each time. For no particular reason I've taken to exporting as JPG, but if you want to use Photoshop on it PSD might be the best bet. Anyway, to business;

When you said you set the resolution, where did you do this? In the VW Document preferences, or in the Image Export pane?

If you set it in the "Pict Export" in the Doc Prefs, this does not override the Export Image window.

When you set the export resolution for an image, you must also set the pixel dimension. The "default" is screen res, and when you increase the resolution, the pixel dimension decreases accordingly.

So, you select the view area, set the resolution to (say)360dpi, and set the pixel dimension to about 2000 X 1600 for a print image of about 150mm X 100mm.

This comes out at an opened file size of about 8-9Mb.

With transparency, and reflective textures, and NURBS objects, on my computer this takes about 15-20mins to export. {:-[

HTH

cheers,

N.

You may want to try using PNG file format. This gives a better quality than JPG image file format AND produces a smaller sized file because of it's tremendous compression abilities.

The image import/export process is controlled by QuickTime.

QuickTime meets the industry standards for each of those image file formats.

If you search the internet for the definitions of PNG or refer to the QuickTime at apple.com/quicktime, you should be able to find specification inforamtion.

We don't publish that data since we didn't write it.

maybe this is way too easy.. but ...

when you are in the export image file dialogue box, choose jpeg under file type and next to that click on "compression" . Move the slider up to best under quality.

Maybe you are already doing that, but if not give it a try. It worked for me!