2D / 3D Drawing

I have a very basic question, which means that I might be missing something. But I've been using VW for years, and still cannot figure this out.

Where exactly does 2d linework belong in a VW modeling context?

For example if we need to draw wall sections from a model... Wall sections typically have more information in them than is typically modeled. As a result there is considerable line work, hatches etc that need to be added to make the drawing complete.

Do the makers of the program envision the users drawing in annotations? Or flattening the model cuts into 2d model space? Or is there some sort of drawing mode that I am not aware of.

All the above options seem to have limitations, and create inefficiencies.

Just curious what other people do...

Edited by cberg

I go even further than Peter - the section viewports are so far from graphically acceptable, and take so long to render, I only use them for the background information, and then only sparingly. For the actual section, I use the good old 2D section legacy tool to get geometry, and draw the section on a design layer old style. That's the only thing that really works, and it takes less time than screwing around with the section VP, and a lot less time than drawing in annotation space, which in past versions of VW at least was maddeningly slow. We tried converting the section VP to lines, then scaling up (x48, e.g.), but 2D section is just faster because of re-render slowness.

Okay. I thought I was missing something. VW 2016 seems better at being able to flatten section viewports as hidden lines...

There should be some process to automatially update design layer viewports.

I really think the program needs to work on improving 2d-3d integration. It's still clunky.

The problem is finding the right balance between how much to model and how much to draw. For my practice (one-off custom residential, one-man shop) I generally model everything that is needed to produce Floor Plans and Elevations. In other words, the Floor Plans and Elevations generally need little to no annotation of graphics, only annotating of notes. I model it with as much anatomical accuracy as I can, but I don't model every door knob, hinge, pipe, duct, etc. unless it needs to show in a 1/4" =1' elevation.

For me, sections are where things get proven. So it's critically important that all of the dimensional data and relationships of all the major building elements are modeled exactly as they will be built. No fudging here. For example, each stairway is modeled as precisely as possible; how it will actually be built, and placed in precisely the location in which it will be built . When I model a roof, I start out with a single thickness, but as the project progresses I usually modify it so that the rafters (or trusses) are a discreet element, and the roof sht'g is another element. You get the idea.

The quick proof (or failure/collision) shows up very nicely in Section VP's. Of course it depends exactly where one chooses to cut the section, and I often cut a lot of quick sections in the early design phase, because there a is a ton of information that shows up really quickly and easily.

When the project is in the Working Drawing phase, I decide which sections I need to include in the final set. In simple buildings there might be two, whereas in more complex building there could be as many as six or eight. Some might be full sections and some might be partials. My sections are always at least 1/2"=1' scale, never smaller, so I can do a lot of my detailing in the sections.

Thus, starting with the chosen Section VP's, on Sheet Layer(s), I start the process of drawing, in 2d, in Annotations, everything that is not in the model. I start at the bottom (foundation) and work my way to the top. When I find something that doesn't quite work I often go back to the model and tweak it for accuracy.

My basic method of finishing a section is to get all the graphics done first, then do the notes. Yes It's a lot of work, but this is after all a job. And remember, just a few years ago we (the industry) were doing all this work entirely by hand, on paper (or vellum) with pencils and (lots of) erasing. Ugh!

Here is one example of a finished section and an elevation.

P