VW can be much more that architecture

I'm getting the feeling that having a tool (VW) that can do 2d well & 3d (parts, assemblies, materials, motion & time) is the best for VW.

its not about having tools that make specific objects (stair tool) but the ability to navigate & model easy. then anyone can do anything with VW. i don't see this happening with sketchup (limited 2d sketching ability) Revit is so strictly architecture that you can't deviate from it. "onshape" which is cloud based, does not seem to be that friendly when it comes to 2d.

with VW i can model a complex 3d item AND i can make some 2d graph paper to print out for my business. saying VW Architect is limiting its full range.

VW seems to surpass all 3d software in the 2d quality area.

just thinking out loud.

In all honesty VW and Su can't really be compared at all. Ignoring everything they can do the pricing structure alone means there is no comparison.

That said I agree that VW is so close (sort out Sub-D) to being a great all round tool. For us 2015 was a landmark (less so 2016 although its stability was great). Looking forward to 2017

I'm getting the feeling that having a tool (VW) that can do 2d well & 3d (parts, assemblies, materials, motion & time) is the best for VW....

... saying VW Architect is limiting its full range.

VW seems to surpass all 3d software in the 2d quality area.

I would agree. I use the full "Designer" package. I don't do architecture but have used VW for theatre shows, museum exhibits, venue design, costume design, 3d printing, presentations, digital manufacturing and the better part of my work on an Olympic Opening and Closing ceremony. I am now using VW for designing jewellery.

I think many of the tools are named specifically for certain disciplines when really they are useable for many other things.

Kevin

Old school guy chimes in with his old arguments: I never saw the importance of the industry specific modules. Why develop limits to tools and objects so that they are less robust in one module than in another? or completely missing? Why split the user base? Why risk developing a module and later abandon it (eg Mechanical)?

A light version makes some sense if there is a big price difference. And having multiple custom workspace options in the full version is good for users not wanting the full tool/command structure. If Designer were the only package, there should be some savings in development and marketing and support - maybe the price of designer would approach or equal the current module prices.

Not sure about effectiveness of the Education version on the sales side or the user side. Seem to be plenty of problems expressed by Ed users on this community board.

-B

Benson, that makes sense.

I'm really stuck on having a browser based version with the ability to let others harvest data.

also, i just want to let everyone know that while i do a lot of 3d, there are times that i do need to make a good old fashioned 3" detail (2d) and put it on a sheet.

the model is kind of always in flux (vibrating) and i what to "lock down" details with a 2d detail.

this is probability why i don't switch to rhino, form z or onshape etc.

You can ignore all sub versions of VW and go with the VW Designer Version complete

package, like C4D Studio. Everybody has to decide personally if the costs are reasonable.

I also prefer Software that exists in one "Complete/Pro/Ultimate" Version only.

And Software doesn't include year numbers in its Releases.

Even spreading main Feature Updates over Sub Releases.

Digitalmechanics,

I also watched some older Videos in your Youtube account. I agree with the majority

of your points.

our advertising strategy for vectoroworks in poland is currently '2d or bim'. this duality is the best choice for architects still working traditionally on a flat plane, but in the back of their heads considering bim.

plus, of course, fantastic design capabilities, placing vw on the first rank among the professional software packages for interior and landscape design.

we are currently examining the vw suitability for the infrastructure design, taking into account the parametric solid modelling of the terrain (which is still lacking in products of other vendors). what we'll but not overcome is the possibility of the likes of civil 3d to design the street curves and the side slopes when it comes to the highway design, especially for the exits. we simply don't have the tool for that.

and i don't think vw designer is of any value for smes or sole practitioners. they tend to concentrate on their specific business (using a branch module), at least here in poland.

rob

"civil 3d to design the street curves and the side slopes when it comes to the highway design, especially for the exits. we simply don't have the tool for that."

gester, i have a post in the wish area that talks about modeling concrete skate parks, big concrete parking lots & needing tools to control surfaces. this is the exact thought i was thinking of, if VW could focus on sub parametric tools that would make modeling the surface of a skatepark then I'm sure that those tools could do "street curves and the side slopes"

they almost have the tool with the "grade tool" but it can only work with straight lines & it only controls the DTM. also they need to have an option to "glue" the ends together to make a continuous web structure.