corrupt file

I am a leacture and have some students who have bad files, which come up with "-51 Nonexistent access path Attempt to open File - FSOPEN"

when they try to open them, I have try to set up a Workgroup ref, but the same thing comes up

any idea why this has happened???

I am also experiencing corrupt file problems on our student network. At least 6 students have been unable to open their files comprising many hours of work. This has never happened before and we are long time users of VW. Work group referencing didn't achieve anything however there seems to be considerable information still in the files according to their size. Over the last 6 weeks the problem has presented itself at various times. The network has not been modified in the last few months. I have left details with our Australian distributor but thought it appropriate to add to the communication about this topic.

We are also experiencing regular program terminations which can't be isolated to any specific set of events. Using VWA 10.1 on P4 Win 2000 512mB RAM

Ant what type of server are you using?

(win nt, 2k, novell, etc.)

What OS do you have on the local or client end?

What version of VW are you using?

Did you notice this problem occuring since you've updated to VW 10.1.2 ?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by ant:

I am a leacture and have some students who have bad files, which come up with "-51 Nonexistent access path Attempt to open File - FSOPEN"

when they try to open them, I have try to set up a Workgroup ref, but the same thing comes up

any idea why this has happened???

It sounds like a file system issue, not corrupt files. Are you attempting to open files via the File Open dialog, double-clicking on them in explorer or the like, or from the Recent Files list, or all of the above?

all of the above, but the funny thing is that I went and tryied to open one of the bad file yesterday and it opened. which no changes to it or the system????

but is the now the end of term, so it is going to be a while before they are going to be using VW again.

are there any hints for working with OSX desktops and win2K server???

ant

It should work fine ..

if it's working fine now, it could have been something quirky on the network.

The -51 error message means the remote computer cannot be found to open the file.

If something was going crazy with the network at the same time you were trying to open that file, the end result would have been the -51 error.