Vectorworks Development

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
The RM should have a way of quickly and easily expanding it for short periods of time from almost nothing to a large portion of the screen. Ideally I'd like to have it docked, so it doesn't go missing, and isn't floating around messily, but I don't want it using up valuable screen space when I'm not using it.

So perhaps it can occupy a very small portion in the dock, but a single click will expand it temporarily to a useful size. And vice versa.

There might be some other palettes that would benefit from similar behaviour.

So, this is possible on Windows currently, with a function called "Window Shading" but not on OS X. On Mac you can now press the little " - " at the top left and that will shade the palette down to the bar, but you have to click directly on it again to re-open the palette and its a small target. On windows you can just hover-over and then it appears.

I have wanted both OSes to have this (the reason that they don't isnt a design decision it is a tech limitation of the UI systems we use on each OS respectively) and I'll push for it again. For now I just Cmd-R to show/hide the Manager like I used to do for the Browser, but I'd rather it shade like you suggest too.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am told that it will be able to browse and download single items, so that you don't have to download the entire library to get one single item, it will just pull that down on its own.

That is cool.

3) They wrap based on size regardless of characters at the moment.

It wraps fine in old RB using the minus "-" or Blanks :

HOLY-UPPER-

CASE-TEXT-

NAMING-

STANDARD

So it looks in your Preview or was it just lucky word lengths ?

3)I sort of address this above, when complete it will be able to download single items rather than the entire library, but you'll be able to search them without downloading. I have not yet seen this work yet with my own eyes, but the feature is still being implemented, so I will keep an eye out.

Sounds quite complex,

like the need to provide a catalog File or date for each Lib on the server and maybe

link to separate objects in extra files.

But would be very cool.

Can we get access to Settings and Configurations back one time ?

When I play with the B...CAD thing, I see that there are millions of entries to every

little default setting in Settings Manager.

That is quite annoying as you won't find the important settings anymore and something

like this should never be included in VW UI for average usage.

Nevertheless VW deactivated the manipulation of the PlugIn Options and it could save

so much work at work, after a little preliminary and have personalized Default Options to

get rid of default classes, imperial default values and even make tools better understandable

and usable by using the Alternative Naming.

In a way that these settings, or a collection of relevant settings are available by separate Text or XML

Config Files that advanced users can copy into their User or Project Library and will be read privileged

when existing in custom Libraries.

Separate files so that you delete/deactivate special Configs if these will lead to any problems with

coming SP's or Releases.

Attached is an example of how many of those Entries in there are just waiting and crying to be edited

into something more useful.

Jim,

It would be amazing if the new Resource Browser could dock with the UI like a tabbed document, so you could click between it and any other active document. That way it could remain open full size on a single screen and always be one click away, just as any other open document would be.

I have done this for years with the C4D "resource browser", having it tabbed along with my main viewport.

Kevin

I tried CMD+R for a while since docking came,

because I needed the screen space for Nav Plaette and OIP.

But went back to have RB as 3rd docked right side element at the end again.

Now pulling the boarders between the docked elements from time to time

to resize things. I am not happy with either solution.

But I think I would have some spare screen space at the bottom of the screen.

That is where I would like to have accessible all my most used Tools anyway

which doesn't work anymore since docking.

(Even docking anywhere beside left and right was deactivated in later SP's

totally (?))

So I could imagine to have an another Window below View Window where I

would place my RM. With the ability to move the border between a little up

(like in C4D) while I am in heavy Ressource Mode workflow.

It would be amazing if the new Resource Browser could dock with the UI like a tabbed document, so you could click between it and any other active document. That way it could remain open full size on a single screen and always be one click away, just as any other open document would be.

Thats where I want to see the docking go too, not just letting you dock everything beside everything, but be able to overlay palettes and windows on top of each other as well, with tabs appearing on top as you describe.

Mac docking is getting the most change this version, but the Windows side will also get a UI upgrade for docking palettes as well that will make things a little easier to understand, many users never noticed the small dock indication from older versions and honestly it wasn't very obvious and was cumbersome to set up the first time.

JimW: when you start typing a search for say 'metal' in the Resource Manager, do you first have to select what type of resource you're looking for (Renderworks Texture, Wall, Hatch, etc) - OR - will it show all resources in one window that contains 'metal' in either the file name or tag, no matter what type of resource? Thanks.

JimW: when you start typing a search for say 'metal' in the Resource Manager, do you first have to select what type of resource you're looking for (Renderworks Texture, Wall, Hatch, etc) - OR - will it show all resources in one window that contains 'metal' in either the file name or tag, no matter what type of resource? Thanks.

At the moment the search results show only the type that is selected in that top bar. If i search "metal" once in the search bar and then click between the different categories it brings up the results for "metal" in each type, but I would think an "All Resource Types" selection should exist as well.

I can see why you would want it limited to just one category (anyone who used the old resource browser knows collapsing all those sub lists was irritating) but I think ALL should be a choice too. Submitting that now.

You select that, right on the search menu icon there is a dropdown menu that lets you choose:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15294&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-05-11%20at%2012.02.17%20PM.png

The "Enabled Libraries" are controlled by a little set of icons at the top left that let you toggle Default Libraries, User/Workgroup Libraries, Favorites and VSS resources as groups.

Apparently what you describe for the text wrapping is the intended functionality but it is still being tweaked so it might appear odd still on my end, the team is working heavily on Resource Manager currently and it is functionally in flux.

I believe that is the plan, but I have not seen any demos of this functionality yet and I don't expect to for 2017 specifically. A large part of the reason for completely rewriting it (we literally threw the old one's guts completely away and rewrote a new one, completely modern) was to include more advanced functionality like that.

Below you will find a sample of some of the WebView exports (added to original post as well):

Philly: http://tinyurl.com/zv4a6rt

Museum: http://tinyurl.com/hoh7lrc

House: http://tinyurl.com/zjja4vo

These are some of the early tests for viewing a Vectorworks model entirely within a browser. For the Philly model, on the bottom right, click the eyeball icon and switch it to First Person mode, then the mouse and arrow keys (The controls change if you're viewing on a mobile browser or with a device that supports VR) will let you navigate around and see the early version of the solid collision system in action, especially when you go up the Philly model's stairs. I think Museum and House only work in non-first person mode.

This test version does not include any compression yet (the final version will) so you may need to wait for the model to load within the page a few moments.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15335&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2011.59.37%20AM.png