Vectorworks Development

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely wasn't a theatre person......

Kevin

But sounds quite theatric ;)

I always wonder what are the arguments from the other side.

More human, better proportions ?

As for the min requirements,

I tried to help someone one the german forum about installation issues.

Didn't find the min requirements in the help files or KB.

Everything 2015. Did I miss something.

Found it finally on the german site and realized VW 2016 won't run on 32 Bit

Windows anymore. (Which happened there)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Yikes! Who would of known. Definitely wasn't a theatre person......

And you've never known a theater person to swear or throw out gratuitous insults. ;)

In my experience, theater folk are more likely to use swear words as commas, but are far less likely to worry about Units :grin:

Added to the original post as well:

Vectorworks 2017 Operating system and Hardware Requirements:

The Hardware reqs are not yet ready, but I wanted to announce that Vectorworks 2017 will NOT be supporting OS X 10.9 as early as I could, so that users would have as much information as possible to influence any hardware purchasing decisions they might make between now and release.

Only OS X 10.11 and 10.10 will be supported, and almost assuredly Vectorworks 2017 will be made compatible with new OSes released within the lifespan of 2017 development as usual.

Sorry to hear this...we've been hanging onto 10.9 as I've heard nothing particularly good about 10.10 or 10.11.

I am currently heavily testing the new Resource Manager, if anyone has anything they would like me to test, verify or try to make sure gets into the final, now would be the time to speak!

I'm hitting it with a hammer to shake out as many issues as possible early on, any feedback I have from you all may help me look in the right place.

I am currently heavily testing the new Resource Manager, if anyone has anything they would like me to test, verify or try to make sure gets into the final, now would be the time to speak!

I'm hitting it with a hammer to shake out as many issues as possible early on, any feedback I have from you all may help me look in the right place.

Will it make lasagna? Please verify.

- Showing the list of all Texture Image Files currently used in RW Textures

- Pulling the RM to the max screen size to test how large the Image Preview can get

- Checking if underscores "_" will be used to break row in Preview Multi Row Icon Names

- Find and Replace > All Symbol Names > Upper Case

- Setting Default Icon Preview to OpenGL+Left Isometric for all of File's included and incoming Resources

- Filter Sort or Hide all Resources included in File that are unused.

Will it make lasagna? Please verify.

Sadly no. I shall have to tender my resignation tomorrow.

(..)

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15254&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-05-09%20at%2011.37.58%20AM.png

(..)

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15255&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-05-09%20at%2011.40.09%20AM.png

(..)

jim, which market is this referring to? the u.s. one? or worldwide in general?

rob

Those two charts were worldwide. They CAN be focused by distributor but these where set to show everywhere.

1 - Showing the list of all Texture Image Files currently used in RW Textures

2 - Pulling the RM to the max screen size to test how large the Image Preview can get

3 - Checking if underscores "_" will be used to break row in Preview Multi Row Icon Names

4 - Find and Replace > All Symbol Names > Upper Case

5 - Setting Default Icon Preview to OpenGL+Left Isometric for all of File's included and incoming Resources

6 - Filter Sort or Hide all Resources included in File that are unused.

1) It does not, but that was never a thing previously, ill wishlist.

2) Pretty big, it scales down if you grab the separator bars and reshape them but this appears to be max, same size limit with image fills and symbols etc:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15279&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%205.02.09%20PM.png

3) I dont understand this one, where does that happen otherwise?

4) Not a function of the manager currently, I'll wishlist it.

5) It lets you set the default for all as well as setting individual items to have different preview view angles and render modes if you want, the choices of render mode are Wireframe, Hidden Line and OpenGL, the views let you pick the Standard Views list.

6) wishlist item

(I'm headed out for the day, but keep em coming I'll be working with it a good bit tomorrow morning as well.)

The RM should have a way of quickly and easily expanding it for short periods of time from almost nothing to a large portion of the screen. Ideally I'd like to have it docked, so it doesn't go missing, and isn't floating around messily, but I don't want it using up valuable screen space when I'm not using it.

So perhaps it can occupy a very small portion in the dock, but a single click will expand it temporarily to a useful size. And vice versa.

There might be some other palettes that would benefit from similar behaviour.

By the way, something very annoying about the "basic" tool palette: sometimes I go to select the pointer tool in the top left corner and accidentally click the red button that makes the palette disappear. Then I have to go into the menu and restore it. This happens quite frequently when working fast and is infuriating.

1)

Thanks

(To clean up and delete, import, rename, duplicate, (edit :) ) and such things

2)

Well, current RB doesn't give any hint about what an Image Resource quality will be

or what it will look at all, so I think it is better than it was. If the Preview Window will be

at least 800x800 Pixel, I think I can estimate well.

Is there a double click option to get a 100% Window ?

3)

In your screen shot you can see that longer Thumbnail Names wrap full words into rows.

As I do see "blanks" as special characters with potential problems I avoid them like ä, ö, ü.

If you use "-" how it works for Class Hierarchy (only), it will also wrap whole words.

If I use my HOLY_UPPER_CASE_TEXT_NAMING_STANDARD with underscores in old RB,

it sees these as parts of words and it will wrap names in an unreadable fashion like this :

HOLY_UPP

ER_CASE_

TEXT_NA

MING_ST

ANDARD

4)

Thanks

(I meant App wide for all things that contain Names or Text, like Symbols, Classes; Layers, Wall Styles, ...

with all Find and Replace Features that Finder or Text Edit offers)

5)

Great !!!

6)

Thanks

(Navigation Palette too)

--------------------------

7)

Can it dock ?

(And does that make sense ? (Mini Dock or iOS Modus ?))

If not, will there be an Icon in Quick Settings ?

8)

Can we stop downloading all the Libs after installation and will be always provided by the most

recent Libs online, like Help Site ?

The RM should have a way of quickly and easily expanding it for short periods of time from almost nothing to a large portion of the screen. Ideally I'd like to have it docked, so it doesn't go missing, and isn't floating around messily, but I don't want it using up valuable screen space when I'm not using it.

So perhaps it can occupy a very small portion in the dock, but a single click will expand it temporarily to a useful size. And vice versa.

Good Point !

1)

7)

Can it dock ?

So 2 of them, like Navigation Palette + Organization Window ?

Browse in RM and drag'n'drop into (a cleaned version of) RB

+1

JimW:

1) where the Resource Manager screenshot shows 'VSS Online Libraries', how will that work? Some of those files are very large (+100MB), and if they live only in the Cloud (and not on your local HD), you'd be relying on a very fast internet connection.

2) Does the Resource Manager 'Search' function support wildcard searches?

Thanks.

JimW:

1) where the Resource Manager screenshot shows 'VSS Online Libraries', how will that work? Some of those files are very large (+100MB), and if they live only in the Cloud (and not on your local HD), you'd be relying on a very fast internet connection.

2) Does the Resource Manager 'Search' function support wildcard searches?

Thanks.

1) I am told that it will be able to browse and download single items, so that you don't have to download the entire library to get one single item, it will just pull that down on its own. However, at the moment when I click on it nothing happens and a quick chat with engineering and apparently it isn't going to work in the beta for a little while, I will give it a harder poke later on when its up and running to see what it ends up doing.

2) It does not appear so, no. I tried a few permutations of * and ? as substitutes with no results, but I will confirm and wishlist it if it wasnt planned.

jim, the mac vs win usage percentages don't sum up to 100 ;)

rob

I teased an engineer familiar this system and he groaned the groan a person makes when he has heard something before, apparently this is a database issue when read with the reading application I am currently using to view the extracted data.

If it's any consolation, in the various charts that presumably add up to 100%, they are always off by the SAME percentage so the story may hold water, we'll see ;)

2)

Well, current RB doesn't give any hint about what an Image Resource quality will be

or what it will look at all, so I think it is better than it was. If the Preview Window will be

at least 800x800 Pixel, I think I can estimate well.

Is there a double click option to get a 100% Window ?

3)

In your screen shot you can see that longer Thumbnail Names wrap full words into rows.

As I do see "blanks" as special characters with potential problems I avoid them like ä, ö, ü.

If you use "-" how it works for Class Hierarchy (only), it will also wrap whole words.

If I use my HOLY_UPPER_CASE_TEXT_NAMING_STANDARD with underscores in old RB,

it sees these as parts of words and it will wrap names in an unreadable fashion like this :

7)

Can it dock ?

8)

Can we stop downloading all the Libs after installation and will be always provided by the most

recent Libs online, like Help Site ?

2) On Mac at the moment, docking of the palette is disabled in the alpha build while they work on an issue where docking breaks search, but thats just normal development shenanigans. On Windows i can shade the palette like I can others, so they can just be hovered-over and they expand, but I am not sure of the behavior on Mac until they re-enable it.

3) They wrap based on size regardless of characters at the moment.

7) It is SUPPOSED to be able to dock but at the moment it is disabled for development reasons listed above. I do not think it will get a quickpref to open/close it.

8) I sort of address this above, when complete it will be able to download single items rather than the entire library, but you'll be able to search them without downloading. I have not yet seen this work yet with my own eyes, but the feature is still being implemented, so I will keep an eye out.