• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
so the testing needed is extensive and adds time to development

Time for Open Beta :)

BLASPHEMY!!!

But for real; I have lobbed the idea of an Open Beta up the chain a few times. It isn't met with a hard "No." but there are some internal technology systems as well as some bureaucratic things we would have to change first. I still have hope.

I currently participate a semi open beta,

means it is restricted to only a part of the users, similar to those having select service here,

but it is not only addressed to real beta testers only, but people who want to test or play

with it and want give their feedback.

On the other hand it is under NDA and no participant talks about it in public, and the part

of the forum is restricted, so it is not open in that sense.

I think this is a manageable way to go.

(and multi-view will not be ready by 2017)

I think it's worth noting (to upstairs) that negative plans are valuable information for users.

1. If it's wrong nobody will complain.

2. You are not saying when it will happen so there aren't broken promises.

3. You are confirming plans for a feature so we have some hope.

It sure beat wondering if...

Most importantly for me, has there been any attention paid to the Cinema 4D connection.

Yes. But I can not go into further detail at this time.

With regard to project sharing, seeing you say individual objects can be checked out, can multiple people now work on a level at the same time. How exactly does this work? Is it going to be like Revit where if a user touches an object, Revit tells everyone that object is borrowed by a user? Is the process automatic like Revit or does a user have to manually check out an object (in a dialogue box) each time they realize they need to use it?

From what I understand, you will open the project file and be permitted to freely check out objects, but yes you must perform a checking-out action at least as far as the last demo I saw went. Other users will be informed that it is currently checked out and who has it checked out if they try to modify it, but I do know that the UI for it is not yet finalized.

Thanks for your replies Jim.

I'm sorry to keep pressing on this issue however will the fixed/improved Cinema 4D export be in vw2017? Or later? You don't have to go into any details.

Also, I wasn't clear with Revit handling individual objects.

When a user modifies an object, Revit knows they have now borrowed that object however other users are not told but Revit is aware of this. Other users do become aware of this objects status when they try to select/modify this object and that's when a message comes up asking for them to send a request to the borrower and then for users to do a sync. This process doesn't include everybody but just the 2 that wants to edit the same object. Revit is extremely powerful with regard to multiple users on a project.

I hope vw2017 has made huge leaps in this area.

Jershaun, Stephan Monninghof's Renderworks session at the Chicago Summit was an eye opener for me and many others who attended. Stephan achieves very high quality results from Renderworks and he showed very clearly that you can get just as good a result from Renderworks alone.

If the video of it is made available, watch it and be amazed. The title was:

Rendering Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

I attended the Chicago Summit and it was a great experience. You should all try to attend the next one or the one after that.

The glimpses we were given of future improvements were very encouraging and make me feel very optimistic about Vectorwork's future.

All of the Vectorworks people who were there were very enthusiastic about the program and the synergy that exists is tangible. The program development and support is in very good hands.

I attended the Chicago Summit and it was a great experience. You should all try to attend the next one or the one after that.

The glimpses we were given of future improvements were very encouraging and make me feel very optimistic about Vectorwork's future.

All of the Vectorworks people who were there were very enthusiastic about the program and the synergy that exists is tangible. The program development and support is in very good hands.

This too sounds positive.

I realise VW feature requests will vary according to individual and industry needs, but without the first three we'd still be lagging behind.

Top three, first post

Hi Mike,

I'm not disputing that vw is capable of fairly good renders however with my experience using RW, it's not production ready. It's slow. Restrictive in controlling render settings. Material settings are incomplete and lacking of features. Mapping tools are non existent. It's unstable and unreliable-sometimes it renders, sometimes not, sometimes it crashes, sometimes it hangs. Results are unpredictable. It goes on and on. So yes, with a LOT of work, good results are possible but I don't have time for that.

Vray is tried and trusted. All I need is a good, efficient, organised and accurate model to be exported from vw to C4D and then for vw to release ALL control to C4D. If only the old plug-in...(sigh, I should stop dreaming)

Rendering Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff

Sounds good - can we see it?

thanks

I have been told the videos are being assembled now. They are not on my team's plates however so I am not sure of their schedule. I'll be making a whole bunch of noise when they are ready.

The Rendering class Luis and I hosted will probably be rerecorded in-house and released along with the file sooner than the others, since my team has more direct control over it (and we move quickly ;) )

I'm sorry to keep pressing on this issue however will the fixed/improved Cinema 4D export be in vw2017? Or later? You don't have to go into any details.

There will be improvements in the upcoming release and probably continuously. This is a major area of focus for our rendering team.

Resource Manager!

Browsing improvements

Search enhancement

Structural Member Object

Irrigation Tools

Analytics

Cloud Services

VGM Continued Upgrades:

- Same speed enhancements we saw come to OpenGL will be brought to Top/Plan views.

- Large or highly complex files will perform more smoothly, even in extreme cases.

- You will be able to perform additional operations without having to wait for the previous operation to finish.

- MULTITHREADING - screen redraws will be split into separate threads, so that user input can be taken without the user having to wait, or without making Vectorworks stop what it was already doing.

As an ongoing Designer + RW VSS subscriber I am relieved & encouraged to see that NM/VW is taking time to revamp, revise, polish, correct, clean up, streamline, and generally improve important parts of VW's core functionality. As a landscape designer I will appreciate the new Irrigation tools (if they make it into the 2017 release) too.

The 2016 release (point cloud, Energos, etc.) had plenty of attention-grabbing power, 2017 appears to be some follow-through in the bread-and-butter minute to minute core functionality.

Looking forward to downloading VW2017 -- SP2! I'll let the bleeding edge people work out the initial round of bugs. :)

Edited by Gilbert Osmond
Jim, another query :)

I currently have c4d visualize 13. I would like to upgrade but want too keep the cost down. Will vw work with c4d prime?

Thanks.

I have R17 Prime and VW2016 send the files fine as far as I have tested.

Cheers,

Juan

Prime works fine.

(You may getting annoying error messages about missing plugins)

I upgraded to Vis lately because of the Physical Sky

(complete like Heliodon including option to set a location)

Was not such a good idea as a single Heliodon gets separated into its sub categories

like sky, distant light, ... anyway, (for compatibility reasons with Prime ?)

Also I prefer to have all these missing Vis features in a superior manner by my

VRAY4C4D.

In Prime you won't have things like your Grass Shader. I think it will render in C4D

anyway, you just can't edit it in C4D. Or Sketch and Toon.

Also Physical Renderer is needed to set your exposure in Cameras.

GI is the same.

So RW is kind of C4D Vis.

It is nice to have these additional Vis features. But you have to decide if it is worth

the costs for you.

Here is the Feature Comparison :

http://www.maxon.net/products/general-information/general-information/product-comparison.html

On the other hand there are many features suitable for Architecs only available

in C4D Studio like MoGraph Tools (Cloner !)

So it may make sense to consider the Broadcast Version or the VRAY extension also.

You can workaround cloner with basic duplicate along/array tools in most cases.

Just not so comfortable.

VRAY is an option as I tend to recreate clean Light and Camera setting from copies

outside of the VW import geometry anyway.

Same for a complete Material/assignment revamp with current state of the

VW C4D Exchange, of course.

Are there going to be improvements in the wall commands/behavior?

Are we going to have tabbed documents?

There will be some changes to walls but I have not seen anything extremely dramatic so far. There are far more changes planned for the architectural objects that insert into walls such as Windows/Doors this time around. I can not go into specifics.

Tabbed Documents will indeed happen, as some users have already spotted in the released shots so far! Mac will most likely get them first. The Mac and Windows UIs are built completely separately, which is why sometimes the Window or Mac sides leapfrog each other for a version or two. Mac in this case NEEDED this system to correct the issue where using Palette Docking stopped users from being able to see more than one document at a time.