Vectorworks Development

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have changed the name of this thread, things have changed a bit for the better and we won't just showcase a single version, rather this time we will be sharing a larger look at our ongoing development with users.

There were a few threads recently about opening up development and becoming more transparent. This input was taken to heart. We have begin asking users to partner with us via the subscription system in some cases of multiple years, we agree that even just showing what one more version would bring a few months in advance is not enough to place faith in, so we will be expanding the view even further and showing users the future directions we intend to take the software not just in a matter of months, but longer term as well.

Project Sharing, Subdivision and Marionette will all be receiving a "2.0" upgrade, where we address limitations users found in Vectorworks 2016.

Project Sharing:

-Compatibility with cloud storage systems such as Google Drive, Dropbox.

-Checking out arbitrary selections of objects.

Subdivision:

- Convert existing geometry into a Subdivision object

- Mirror mode, what you do on one side happens on the other.

- Bridging, connect two subdivisions or mend holes in a single subdivision.

Marionette:

- More nodes!

- More support for sharing and cataloguing nodes, especially custom ones.

Resource Manager! Bye bye Resource Browser.

-Drag/drop organization

- Expanded, large working area for easy visibility

-Easy subfolder views

-Full library search as well as searching within a single library with results that appear as you type.

- Direct access to online libraries as well as your locally stored libraries.

- All resource types can be organized into folders.

- Larger preview thumbnail with direct control of the previews rendering mode.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15022&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-04-26%20at%209.59.51%20AM.png

Browsing improvements:

Search enhancement:

Structural Member Object:

-Three modes: Columns, Linear (beams) and a poly mode for freeform framing members.

-Concrete, Steel, Timber, with multiple preconfigured settings and configurations.

-Attributes allow you to set the appearance of the member at, above, or below the cut plane.

- These objects are associative, to altering beams will update to keep connected beams attached, similar to how wall networks operate.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15023&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-04-26%20at%2010.09.08%20AM.png

Irrigation Tools:

- Comprehensive tool set with preconfigured catalogue from common irrigation component manufacturers as well as letting you make your own.

- Coverage zones with colored warning for too much/too little coverage

- Focus on efficiency as well as accurate detailing.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15024&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-04-26%20at%2012.07.31%20PM.png

Analytics:

- We will be able to study how and why you use each an every tool and menu.

- We can study the user base’s favorite and least favorite tools all in one place.

- Helps improve performance, we can see your system requirements and track what your machines might be having problems with and allow us to address those concerns directly.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15058&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-04-28%20at%201.48.32%20PM.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15057&filename=Screen%20Shot%202016-04-28%20at%201.47.29%20PM.png

Cloud Services:

- For EVERYONE! Students, demos, non Service Select subscribers, everyone will have access.

- More storage

- Allow Nomad to be used by everyone, no logins required for viewing.

Single signon, you will be able to use Facebook or Google rather than making another new account with us to access Cloud Services.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=15059&filename=9.%20VCS.png

VGM Continued Upgrades:

- This is what makes Vectorworks GO.

- Same speed enhancements we saw come to OpenGL will be brought to Top/Plan views.

- Large or highly complex files will perform more smoothly, even in extreme cases.

- You will be able to perform additional operations without having to wait for the previous operation to finish.

- MULTITHREADING - screen redraws will be split into separate threads, so that user input can be taken without the user having to wait, or without making Vectorworks stop what it was already doing.

WebView and Virtual Reality: (Two semi related things)

- Export a model into a web view that anyone can see and move around in directly and easily, you won't need to know how to use Vectorworks to use it.

- Physically aware objects, you'll bump into walls and doors and columns etc. and not phase through the model strangely.

- This web view can appear on your computer, mobile device, but also a VR headset in a special view mode that splits the view into a left eye / right eye distorted view for use with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or even Google Cardboard..

- A much better replacement for the Vectorworks Viewer. Includes textures colors, backgrounds, all of it in 3D.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxJaCkilVU-NAL21LjfBncgKKgEFy0Ckn

Philly: http://tinyurl.com/zv4a6rt

Museum: http://tinyurl.com/hoh7lrc

House: http://tinyurl.com/zjja4vo

These are some of the early tests for viewing a Vectorworks model entirely within a browser. On the bottom right, click the eyeball icon and switch it to First Person mode, then the mouse and arrow keys (The controls change if you're viewing on a mobile browser or with a device that supports VR) will let you navigate around and see the early version of the solid collision system in action, especially when you go up the Philly model's stairs.

---

As always, the scope of answers I can give in the beginning are limited, with the range broadening as release gets closer.

Important Note: We are sharing a larger slice of our plans than we have done in prior years. This means three main things:

1) Not all of these features are guaranteed to be in the very next version of Vectorworks. Nearly all of them are intended to be, but since the nature of software development is fluid, not everything can make the cut in time. I personally feel it is better to err on the side of sharing your plans even if you can't guarantee a timetable than on the side of "dont mention anything you can't deliver in less than 6 months" and I am pretty sure the majority of you agree.

2) The details ARE subject to change at any time. I will do my absolutely best to keep you all updated and please feel free to ask me if you think something needs to change or shouldn't change.

3) This list is NOT a compilation of the largest or most important things we are working on, some of the bigger stuff is still a complete secret as well as dozens of smaller utility features and improvements to overall user experience. I really think a lot of you are going to be impressed.

Vectorworks 2017 Operating system and Hardware Requirements:

The Hardware reqs are not yet ready, but I wanted to announce that Vectorworks 2017 will NOT be supporting OS X 10.9. Only OS X 10.11 and 10.10 (and will be made compatible with new OSes released within the lifespan of Vectorworks 2017 development as usual)

Edited by JimW
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I saw it was moving towards the green/blue portion of the spectrum. But this year I believe we are going to keep much of the same branding style as last year, which I agree with, I like the simpler look of the icon.

My profile icon will remain version-neutral colors ;)

TI know Jim you are not a fan of the material flat design trend

It's growing on me, honestly. I think the very early examples of it a few years ago were what I disliked the most, the more recent incarnations that Google and Apple have been pushing I find much more appealing.

Or maybe I've been spending too much time near the Creative and Marketing teams... they may have infected me.

If I might... I don't mind the "flat" look, but one (relatively minor) thing that does really annoy me is the lack of margins for the Icon on the launch screen. It is pushed all the way down to the lower right corner. From a designer's eye this has always looked wrong. I wish it had a little breathing room... Just saying...

The one thing I'd like to see is still more transparency. A good example would be Marionette from VW2016. Its a great feature but I feel like it is still in beta. There's nothing wrong with having a beta item be part of a release, but there should be openness and honesty with the users about what it is. That way users can make their own judgement about a features' usefulness/reliability in production work in its current state.

Kevin

Topic title and purpose change! Change of plans folks! (Also, re read the original post if you haven't already)

We will be sharing a bit more than I expected, so this thread's scope will expand a bit come next week. More information will be provided as it comes.

Topic title and purpose change! Change of plans folks! (Also, re read the original post if you haven't already)

Yay Jim! (As Jim says, re-read the original post) If there were a "LIKE!" button, I'd be using it multiple times now. You must be very persuasive :-) This is fantastic news. Your new title is bearing fruit very quickly....

Kevin

There were a few threads recently about opening up development and becoming more transparent. This input was taken to heart. We have begin asking users to partner with us via the subscription system in some cases of multiple years, we agree that even just showing what one more version would bring a few months in advance is not enough to place faith in, so we will be expanding the view even further and showing users the future directions we intend to take the software not just in a matter of months, but longer term as well.

Huuuugee (Either Trump or Bernie style)

This is very welcome.

In the last few months, I've been considering very seriously whether or not it makes sense to continue investing my time and money in Vectorworks. This is in part prompted by an attempt to change the way I draw, moving more in to 3D-based information. Something I think a lot of people are trying to figure out at present. Whilst VW is excellent in 2D there are now many other packages which are in some regards superior for 3D work, and fast catching up in other areas. Some of these are less expensive than VW. Sketchup for example.

There are lots of things that make me want to persevere with VW but at the same time a worry that it's an evolutionary dead end, and is going to get left behind by the competition. Letting us see that there's a path set for VW to follow, that will keep it relevant and address current shortcomings, will go quite a long way in moderating those worries, which I'm sure others share.

Introductory text for the development keynote on Tuesday morning:

"Vectorworks is enjoying great success. The 2016 software release prompted the biggest growth of new users in company history, and we've doubled our staff over the past three years. Amid these changes, one thing has remained constant: our dedication to enabling great design. Looking ahead, learn how Vectorworks is helping designers to close the circle of BIM collaboration and connect with global partners to support all project phases. Also hear how our ESP Vision asset acquisition and PRG partnership are enhancing visualization synergies, as well as how attendees continue to benefit from the convergence of spatial design disciplines. From there, delve into how new developments in the world of technology will shape future software development and impact how you respond to design challenges. This presentation shares some of our current development efforts, including new ideas we're working on for Vectorworks 2017 and beyond. It's an exciting time, and we hope the conversations started here inspire you to keep your creative edge and transform the world like never before. "

More details as they come! I'll be attempting to liveblog as the presentation continues tomorrow.