cancellation of rendering

Hi @ all,

as far as I can see there is no way to cancel the rendering process once it has started. Having accidently started some too complicated rendering leads to either endless time of waiting or corrupted files by killing the vectorworks process itself.

Any chance to have a cancellation button in future ???? ( No renderworks )

• Like 1

ok, I tested a bit and Jim is right: In a design layer rendering can be cancelled at least within 1-3 minutes by performing any other action ( for example double-click on an empty space ) . The time depends much on what kind of rendering was chosen and at what state of rendering the process is cancelled.

ESC-ESC is not working, since this is normally the shortcut for exiting a group.

I had the problem with the shortcuts ctrl-alt-shift-D, which opens the duplicate dialog, and ctrl-shift-D,- which renders in draft mode, so sometimes not hitting the alt-tab caused sending VW to nirwana, instead of duplicating. I changed that in my workspace now.

Anyway, there seems no way to cancel the rendering of a viewport on a sheet layer once the update button is pressed. There is only two ways to handle this, either cancel VW or go to the kitchen an fetch a new coffee.

P.S.

Bad tounges say Bill Gates made his fortune not by selling software but by getting profit share from the coffee industry any time windows has to be restarted...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It should change on both Mac and PC to "Cancel Update" almost immediately. You should also be able to right click on the updating viewport in the Navigation palette and cancel it from there as well, does that also not work on your machine?

If not, get in touch with tech support directly, that is not expected behavior and I am not able to replicate that here in a number of files.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

OH! I'm sorry, I thought you meant it was not a Renderworks mode you were rendering in. What mode are these viewports set to? I will test on a machine that does not have the Renderworks module installed.

It should still allow you to cancel even if you don't have Renderworks installed, if its not letting you this might just be a module access issue that can be patched.

• 6 months later...

I pushing this topic forward again:

Renderworks is now part of spotlight and renderworks rendering of a sheet layer can be cancelled. Hidden line rendering still can not. Having accidently too much details in a hidden line rendering causes VW to crash badly. Very often the file has to be restored from backup then.

So any chance to have this bug fixed finally ?????

• 1 month later...

Experiencing this issue again after switching to 2017. I assume I have the "update out-of-date viewports before exporting" box checked (from default settings), as I went to publish a set and every single viewport is re-rendering (not visibly - I can only see the progress bar is busy with Indirect Lighting, Render...).

Double-tapping escape does nothing. There's an X on the vector script box that is grayed or something (not working). In this situation there is no OIP cancel button. It would be nice if my oversight on checking that box didn't mean I either need to force quit or wait 2 hours for renderings that do not need to be updated.

• Like 1
On 4/19/2016 at 10:50 PM, halfcouple said:

Hi @ all,

as far as I can see there is no way to cancel the rendering process once it has started. Having accidently started some too complicated rendering leads to either endless time of waiting or corrupted files by killing the vectorworks process itself.

Any chance to have a cancellation button in future ???? ( No renderworks )

Experiencing the same problem here, after SP2. Bothersome in the extreme

• 4 months later...

I hope this doesn't come across as complaining, but I was wondering if there's been any solution to this or any insights to it?

I'm in this situation again. I've tried escape, escape escape, and command period. Vectorworks is unresponsive and frozen except for the rendering bar, which is counting time and every two seconds blinks as "stopping render" for a split second. I believe I must have clicked something to get this to do what it's doing, but the process should be able to be cancelled it without force quitting.

5916209881816_ScreenShot2017-05-12at4_52_18PM.png.8eca3036a2d8bb24ec24065525c62d1d.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 4.49.08 PM.png

Edited by Amelia S

Yes, the problem still exists, viewports in rederworks mode can be skipped, but a hidden line rendering can not be stopped as soon as it is started. I have learned to use the update button with special care, but still often enough it results in corrupted files when cancelling Vctorworks itself. Rebuilding the file from the backup file then is the only solution.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having this issue with one particular Viewport (ortho/perspective), rendering FinalQuality w/ Hidden Line. It gets stuck (beach ball) in the "convert" phase of the rendering & I have to Force-Quit. If I omit the Hidden Line aspect, it renders fine, just slow. Other Viewports of the same model with the same settings render fine.