Improvement to Grid Bubble Tool

Jim Smith

Question

6 hours ago, anton5 said:

Is there a way to create only one grid line and bubble (for example in zoomed in detail drawings) using the grid bubble tool?

kind regards anton

Not easily.

If I remember rightly, my usual workaround is to create a two-line grid in the annotations space, and stretch it so that only one line is visible and the other is somewhere off the side of the page print area.

A messy solution to a problem that's caused by the makers of the tool not fully understanding or anticipating the way gridlines need to show up in real world drawings.

• Like 1
On 10/21/2017 at 12:21 AM, Jim Smith said:

- On larger projects our Grid is a Hybrid symbol so the the Gird is is visible in both 2D & 3D 

@Jim Smith - How do you create this Hybrid 2D & 3D Grid exactly? Is it a case of effectively drawing a 'cage'? So.. you draw lines up vertically from the end of each of the 2D plan gridlines, on each side? Not sure best way to create this really.

4 hours ago, Asemblance said:

Is it a case of effectively drawing a 'cage'? 

That's essentially it, & we only really do this for Larger projects. There are 2 Classes for Grid Lines (Grid/Line/Plan & Grid/Line/Elev).

For a garden centre project we did last year I also had Sets of Grid Bubbles that were in classes called: GRID/ID/PLAN/1:500 (& /1:100, 1:50, 1:20, 1:10 as well as sets of classed for Elevations). The reason was each of these grid bubbles are scaled so they look correct at the relevant scale. This didn't work too badly but we still needed to add additional viewports for details as the Grid Bubbles were often too far from the detail.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Patrick Fritsch said:

Yo! VW developers...Either fix the tool or take it out as it's a useless piece of junk...NO results since this was submitted in 2016 and probably before...sad! Oh but don't tell me we have point clouds instead, more junk bling bling!

In the meantime... you might find this discussion useful:

I'd like to see a plane solution where we can define them as grids and have a toggle so they can be made to show up in any view as required.  The grid label location would need to be flexible and have a user definable distance from the building part in a view.

The difficulty would be ensuring that only grids applicable to that building part are in a view.

• Like 3
On 2/11/2019 at 10:34 PM, mike m oz said:

I'd like to see a plane solution where we can define them as grids and have a toggle so they can be made to show up in any view as required.  The grid label location would need to be flexible and have a user definable distance from the building part in a view.

The difficulty would be ensuring that only grids applicable to that building part are in a view.

I should think you've hit the nail on the head. Perhaps a Tool similar to the way the Section Tool is visible in 2D, but with a 3D widget that allows one to view the Grid & Label in 3D.

• Like 1