Quicktime for Windows - End of Life *IMPORTANT*

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Apple has ended support for QuickTime for Windows. The Department of Homeland Security in the United States has issued a security warning (There's a phrase I never thought I would type on this board...) advising of the increased risk of malware or viral infection for machines that still have Quicktime for Windows installed.

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A

This does not have any effect on users that are working with Vectorworks 2015 or Vectorworks 2016 on Windows, and will have no effect on users with any version of Vectorworks on Mac OS X.

However, uninstalling QuickTime from Windows machines that are running Vectorworks 2014 or earlier will render those versions inoperative. You will need to decide whether to leave QuickTime installed or to upgrade to a version of Vectorworks that does not depend on QuickTime. Unfortunately, previous versions of Vectorworks can not be patched by us in order to remove their QuickTime dependency.

If you have any questions regarding this, please let me know.

If you don't need your VW 2014 anymore, you should uninstall Quicktime for Win.

Some other Software beside VW may be effected too, like when saving Videos by

using Quicktime, like some Adobe products. Adobe already said they will patch their

software soon. If needed I would wait until that happens.

If you do rely on VW 2014 or earlier in any case,

do not uninstall Quicktime for Windows.

An option is to cut the machine from the internet to avoid any malware attacks.

If possible, upgrading to VW 2016 may be the simplest and most reasonable solution.

(Or switch to Mac ;) )

• JuanP locked this topic