Turn lighting instruments on and off from the OIP

Question

10 answers to this question

Definitely +1

If it helps, then if you give a lighting instrument a purpose then that will show up on the visualisation palette

Why do lighting accessories/static accessories have to show up in the Vis palate? Us theatre lighting designers use alot of them (barn doors, scrollers, top hats etc) They don't emit light, so it seems to make no sense!

Mark

Additionally, to alter a Lighting Device's intensity for renderings you have to find it in the Vis palette, right click and choose Edit, then change the intensity in the pop-up (which is essentially the OIP for the embedded Light object). Not only is this a few extra steps, but it's not very apparent to someone who doesn't know this functionality exists. It would be helpful if the Lighting Device had a button directly in the OIP to take you to this same pop-up to edit the embedded Light.

I didn't realise that. I do all my visualisation before channelling up the design as it is the visualisation element that must come first with me. Once I am happy with the results of any visualisation then I can go ahead and finish the design and finally channel it up. Makes more sense that way?!

Mark

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Submitting request now, noting specifically that this needs to be possible for multiple selected instruments.

EDIT: This can also apparently be done via the contextual menu for selected instruments, which I was not aware of before now.

Edited by JimW

Turning them on and off: yes, the contextual menu is great, use it all the time, faster than the Vis Palette for sure, BUT editing intensity or any other attribs, for ex.

Drop off type Realistic/smooth/none, Lit Fog, etc are on a per-item basis. This makes things really slow when one has more than a few fixtures to deal with.

One of the reasons Vectorworks is top in my arsenal is because it offers the opportunity to create designs and images/renders I show clients and say with confidence: "I can do this". And I don't have to go outside the app to create saleable renders. I can make many types of changes on the fly. All this is good. But when it takes longer to manipulate a virtual fixture than it does to send a stagehand up a lift to change an attribute of a real fixture, I say there's something which needs fixing.

It will be exciting to see what will come about from the absorption of ESPVision. Soon I hope!

Guest Yordan Kostadinov

Hello all,

The Edit Light.. context menu will apply for all selected Lighting Devices from the upcoming Vectorworks 2018 SP2. For multiple selection in the dialog you will have visualized the selection toggle buttons. It works like multiple lights edit from the Visualization palette.

Regards,

Yordan Kostadinov