Very Frustrating Rendering Oddity, among other things...

What's going on here? 2 ETC MFL Source 4 Pars look fine in Open GL but when I render in anything else the human tool goes insane. I have done this a hundred times. Simple stage wash to highlight some set element. You can even see the shadows from the human figure. With draw beam enabled the figure is clearly in the field.

Why is there a 2MB limit to the File Manager so I can't even share a drawing file?

Why do I have to restart VW in order to (sometimes) select lighting fixtures after using the flyover tool a few times.

Why isn't there a check box in OIP to turn a light on? Put it right next to the draw beam check box, easy.

Why do I have to select a light and then take note of it's ID number and go to yet another window/palette to turn it on?

Why does the event seating tool suck so bad, still. Seriously, duplicate along path is so much easier.

Why does hanging angle of straight truss still show grab handles and the select box in the original angle after being changed 90 degrees?

Why does VW crash when editing a symbol's 3d component while the design layer is in a Custom View?

Why is the Animation Tool's, move along path, timeline so small? Seriously, try editing 20+ views for a 90 second animation.

Why is the Martin Mac 301 body color now grey instead of black?

Why is my default render mode stuck on wire frame even though Open GL is checked?

Why does VW insist on adding new stuff instead of making the old stuff work right?

Why am I up late, under deadline, beta testing this software?

Why am I seriously considering buying WYSIWYG/Vivien?

Why didn't I update my signature to reflect SP3 installed?

Why will I continue to forbid my best friend from checking out the PHPP now in the Arch module? Embracing the Passivhaus trend is admirable but I shudder to think how awful the energy model would be with all the "anomalies" there are in VW2016.

Why does VW hate event designers?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What's going on here? 2 ETC MFL Source 4 Pars look fine in Open GL but when I render in anything else the human tool goes insane. I have done this a hundred times. Simple stage wash to highlight some set element. You can even see the shadows from the human figure. With draw beam enabled the figure is clearly in the field.

Why is there a 2MB limit to the File Manager so I can't even share a drawing file?

It's annoying, this will be increased soon.

Why do I have to restart VW in order to (sometimes) select lighting fixtures after using the flyover tool a few times.

This shouldn't normally occur, but I have had it happen regularly when there were human figure objects in the model, their high mesh count can sometimes dramatically lag selection to the point of uselessness.

Why isn't there a check box in OIP to turn a light on? Put it right next to the draw beam check box, easy.

This is present in Light objects, but for Lighting Instruments you would use the Visualization palette, it lets you control all the lights in one place.

Why do I have to select a light and then take note of it's ID number and go to yet another window/palette to turn it on?

I've suggested that hovering over a light in the drawing should give a visual indicator in the Viz palette and vice versa, do you think this would improve the situation?

Why does the event seating tool suck so bad, still. Seriously, duplicate along path is so much easier.

Lot of improvements marked for that one, a recent post gave excellent detail of the specific issues and those notes were added to the case as well.

Why does hanging angle of straight truss still show grab handles and the select box in the original angle after being changed 90 degrees?

Does it always do this, or does it update after a view change?

Why does VW crash when editing a symbol's 3d component while the design layer is in a Custom View?

This should not be happening, make sure to get in contact with support if it's still happening after removing the Human Figures from the drawing.

Why is the Animation Tool's, move along path, timeline so small? Seriously, try editing 20+ views for a 90 second animation.

It is indeed too small, I hate this as well and have requested it get a UI update.

Why is the Martin Mac 301 body color now grey instead of black?

Not sure why it would have been changed, is the rest of the attached library the same or is that one different on its own? The color can be changed manually and saved over the default library if need be for the time being.

Why is my default render mode stuck on wire frame even though Open GL is checked?

How did you change the default render mode specifically? After changing in in Vectorworks Preferences, then going to Top/Plan and back to 3D, does it not keep OpenGL? Are you using saved views? They will revert the render setting sometimes as well.

Why does VW insist on adding new stuff instead of making the old stuff work right?

We do both, cant just do one or the other in any given release.

Then i found this thread:

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=220557&Searchpage=1&Main=43783&Words=human&Search=true#Post220557

What's the point. If it's broke and doesn't function why not simply remove it?

It was, it will only appear in the Legacy section in Workspace Editor now, or if Migration Manager brought it forward from an older workspace.

This shouldn't normally occur, but I have had it happen regularly when there were human figure objects in the model, their high mesh count can sometimes dramatically lag selection to the point of uselessness.

This happens to me frequently, and in drawings that do not contain a human figure. Seems more prevalent on Mac.

This is present in Light objects, but for Lighting Instruments you would use the Visualization palette, it lets you control all the lights in one place.

I've suggested that hovering over a light in the drawing should give a visual indicator in the Viz palette and vice versa, do you think this would improve the situation?

Again, why not just place a check box in the OIP window? How about adding the "Unit Number" column to the viz palette instead of the odd arbitrary one generated by VW? This gets tedious when you have hundreds of instruments in a drawing.

Lot of improvements marked for that one, a recent post gave excellent detail of the specific issues and those notes were added to the case as well.

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=180868#Post180868

Yes, an excellent post. I still prefer duplicate array/along path. This eliminates the spacing bug that has also been around for years. If you must add numbers to your seating layout just convert them to lighting instruments. Custom selection can be used to create worksheets for section counts.

Does it always do this, or does it update after a view change?

Every time, both operating systems. Mac doesn't do the "selected" box like windows does. Draw any truss with the straight truss tool, change hanging angle to 90. See the blue box in the screen shot attached? I am not close to my Windows machine to show the outline of the original hanging angle.

This should not be happening, make sure to get in contact with support if it's still happening after removing the Human Figures from the drawing.

This happens without the Human Figure tool being involved. Mostly on Mac. I experience this mostly when employing the "glowing lens" work work flow. Flyover to a random view, select an object in the design layer, edit that objects symbol in resource browser, crash. Of course it does not happen every time. This bug has led me to auto save every 100 operations.

How did you change the default render mode specifically? After changing in in Vectorworks Preferences, then going to Top/Plan and back to 3D, does it not keep OpenGL? Are you using saved views? They will revert the render setting sometimes as well.

The tea pot drop down appears to have no effect on a drawing opened in Windows when started in Mac. I will test this again today. This seems to only apply to using the control + middle mouse flyover when starting from 2d/plan. Saved views work as expected.

Some of these oddities have been around for years. That's a choice not a challenge. Imagine if I told one of my clients something like that. I would get fired in a heart beat. "Sorry Mrs. Event Planner, we just couldn't do both sound and lights. Just one on any given show." I have been a VW user for close to 2 decades now. This is years of frustration talking.

What's the point. If it's broke and doesn't function why not simply remove it?

It was, it will only appear in the Legacy section in Workspace Editor now, or if Migration Manager brought it forward from an older workspace.

Yes, I had to go fishing for it. The Human Figure is critical to my design process because it gives my clients a sense of the scale of any given event. It's tough to judge how a scene, stage or exhibit really looks without having a reference of size. It's not like in architecture where you can use interior decorations to express the scale of a room. That being said, I guess I will have to buy more things to get the functionality I desire. That's about as awesome as buying a new car that's missing a steering wheel.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Make sure to get in touch with Support directly about the recurring issues. As for the checkbox and seating layout changes, make sure to file a wishlist request with anything you'd like to see added:

For this:

Some of these oddities have been around for years. That's a choice not a challenge. Imagine if I told one of my clients something like that. I would get fired in a heart beat. "Sorry Mrs. Event Planner, we just couldn't do both sound and lights. Just one on any given show." I have been a VW user for close to 2 decades now. This is years of frustration talking.

-were these files as bugs or as wishlist items? I can take a look and check the status on them if so.

I would have to say that I have not found using the vis palette particularly difficult, as I typically assign chan #s or, more likely, purposes which makes it all so much easier to use. W/ re the notion of putting those on the OIP, I think that'd be great, though I would also like the ability to reorder the OIP fields.

I would have to say that I have not found using the vis palette particularly difficult, as I typically assign chan #s or, more likely, purposes which makes it all so much easier to use. W/ re the notion of putting those on the OIP, I think that'd be great, though I would also like the ability to reorder the OIP fields.

Channel and purpose are 2 fields I never use. The use of these fields in the instrument ID was pointed out to me in another thread. My usual fields are Unit, Dimmer, Circuit, Address and Color.

I will be using Channel instead of Unit for now as a work around to getting the data in the Viz palette. Hopefully I don't miss a legend and confuse the heck out of some poor electrician. At this point my template file is causing more harm than good so I might as well just start from scratch and rebuild it with new label legends.

• 2 weeks later...