Brick and Block Hatches

Richie,

Look in the VW FOLDER > RESOURCES FOLDER, There should be a file called "Hatches.mcd". Open this in VW's and then open your other document as well. Then in the resource palette scroll to the Hatches. mcd file and double click on any resources you want to import. They will then be in your file, in resources.

There are a bunch of Block & Brick hatches in there. The easiest way to get what you want is to start with one of their's and duplicate and then edit it. If you play around a bit I think you should be able to figure out how to modify the existing hatch(es) to get what you want.

Hope this helps!

Peter

Hi

Do any of you guys know where i can get a brick and block hatch with joints in the following dimensions. I have tried to make the hatch myself but am always very confused by the way you make hatches in vectorworks 9.5:

Brick - 215mm long by 65mm high with a 10mm joint all around

Block - 440mm long by 215mm high with a 10mm joint all around.

Thanks in advance

Richie

Thanks for that,

I had a look at those hatches.... all are very useful... the problem i have is that at the scale i am drawing i will have to show 10mm joints in the blockwork. I have worked out the pattern myself for block and brick in elevation but without the joints.... i was at it all day friday and almost got it but cant afford to spend any more time on it..... Is ther somewhere on the web that you can buy VW hatches....?

Richie

Thanks, but i am just after drawing the block - 440x215 with 10mm joints. I have lost more than a day trying to figure that out. What was catching me was the dash factor. I didnt quite understand how it worked......! In saying that, it still is very difficult to draw hatches. Has it improved in newer versions of VW....? If not its going on the wish list. If anyone wants this block hatch i will email it......!

Richie

A hatch pattern is made up of one or more dashed lines (which the program calls "hatch layers").

DashFactor x RepeatLength = length of the dash.

1/DashFactor x RepeatLength = length of the void between dashes.

To put it another way:

Repeat Length specifies how far till the next dash begins.

Dash Factor specifies what percentage of the Repeat Length will be solid. The remainder will be void.

So, for example, to specify the dashed line that will represent the bottom edge of your brick, you want a Repeat Length of 215 + 10 = 225 (from the lower left corner of one brick to the lower left corner of the next), a Repeat Angle of 0, and a Dash Factor of 215/225 = .955555555

You'll need 4 lines like that (assuming the bricks are not stack bond), each with a different starting point. All 4 lines will have an Offset Length of 65 + 10 + 65 + 10 = 150, and Offset Angle of 90 degrees.

And then 4 lines to represent the ends of the bricks, with Repeat Length = 65 + 10 + 65 + 10 = 150, Repeat Angle = 90 degrees, Dash Factor = 65/150 = .433333333, Offset Length = 215 + 10 = 225, and Offset Angle = 0

I'd have to draw the bricks to calculate the Start Lengths and Angles.

I find it easier to design hatch patterns if I give each of the lines (or "hatch layers") a different color until I'm finished specifying the geometry.

There's another solution to this problem, using VW Architect, that doesn't involve using hatches. Beginning with VW Architect 9.5.1 and on, you can create a symbol and then use the Tile command to duplicate it within a defined polygon area. Briefly, once you've created a symbol consisting of one repeatable module, you draw a 2-D polygon and invoke the Tile command. The polygon will then be filled with evenly-spaced instances of your tile. There's a sample file that explains and demonstrates this at Vectordepot: http://vectordepot.com/Drawings1.shtml

(it's the Spanish Tile file)

You can also use a similar technique even without VWArchitect, by placing one instance of your block symbol in the drawing, and then invoking the Duplicate Array command, entering the proper spacing.

Note that the resulting file will probably be somewhat bigger than if you had used a hatch, but for those uncomfortable with the hatch tool, this method can be a great deal simpler.

Dan J.

www.imageprops.com

The Tile command can only be found in Vectorworks Architect: AEC>Tile.

The basic VectorWorks doesn't have it. I believe only VWArchitect and Landmark contain this menu command.

But as I mentioned, in the absence of VWArchitect you can accomplish the same task manually, pretty much, by using Duplicate Array. If the tile needs to fit an irregular polygon shape, you can select the individual tiles near the periphery, convert them to groups, and edit the groups (by clipping for example) to fit the enclosing polygon. The Tile command does all this automatically.

Dan J.

The Tile command can only be found in Vectorworks Architect: AEC>Tile.

The basic VectorWorks doesn't have it. I believe only VWArchitect and Landmark contain this menu command.

But as I mentioned, in the absence of VWArchitect you can accomplish the same task manually, pretty much, by using Duplicate Array. If the tile needs to fit an irregular polygon shape, you can select the individual tiles near the periphery, convert them to groups, and edit the groups (by clipping for example) to fit the enclosing polygon. The Tile command does all this automatically.

Dan J.