Working Plane – Ruler Display

Hi,

Does anyone know if, when a working plane is active, rulers show units relative to the working plane origin or to the drawing user origin?

When I test this, with a working plane active, the rulers display units relative to the drawing origin, not the working plane origin. Vectorworks Help seems to say otherwise. What am I doing wrong?

From Vectorworks Help…

Based on the current measurement system, rulers make it easier to precisely create and place objects within the drawing. The 0,0 point on the rulers represents the location of the user origin, or of the working plane axes when using a working plane. The User Origin command moves the user origin relative to the internal origin, or moves the working plane origin to that of the layer (see Setting the User Origin).

Thank you again…

TD

Good question, when I set a working plane it does seem to use the internal origin (= my user origin as well) as the base for coordinates.

Usually it is not a big issue for me as I use dimensions and work relative to a point, but once in a rare while I'm working fully coordinate based and then it would be good to know for sure.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It should be relative to the working plan origin, with the caveats that the rules will only be accurate in Top/Plan and the other straight-on views like Left and Front, they are not able to display proper measurements in Iso views nor will they be accurate if you have a perspective applied to your current view.