Stopping rendering

Greetings. I find that I often want to start a render to see how a specific aspect is going to look and once I see that particular part of the rendered image, I then stop the render. I use either "Command ." or the "ESCAPE" key. Where I run into problems is when I type one of those commands and then another command to continue drawing such as "Command 5". While this usually works, occasionally (or frankly, fairly often) I apparently move too quickly to the second command while the first has not executed. When this happens, the computer seems doomed to complete an entire render unless I should choose to force quit. Is there another way to force a render to quit? Is there a better approach for what I am doing?

Thank you

Interesting. I recall seeing that feature when it came out, but did;t think too much about it. I will certainly try that and I appreciate the response Alan.

Since this particular drawing has been a little difficult in this regard, I have been paying closer attention to letting he render process stop before moving on. What I have encountered are the following situations:

1) I stopped a rendering using ESCAPE, waited for the computer to stop completely, then pressed Command 5 to return to plan mode and instead the computer started re-rendering. No way to stop until it finished.

2) I ran the same process and then pressed Command Shift W to return to wireframe and then command 5 to return to plan. Worked fine.

3) I just ran the same process as in #2 above and as soon as I typed Command Shift W, it started rendering again.

Seems like an issue. Could just be me.

Edited by scottmoore

If Command 5 is the same as 5 on the numerical keypad in Windows then is is top view (3D) and not top/plan view (2D). That would be 0 on the numpad (probably cmd-0 on Mac).

Top view always renders if it is not set to wireframe, Top/Plan (2D wireframe by default) does not render.

Based on your comment on setting to wireframe I think you may have been switching to top view instead of top/plan.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You may have have enabled "Always Do" for re-rendering after a view change, which is not always ideal. This can be reset under Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Session > Reset Saved Settings, check the second box for "Always Do" actions and it will reset all of them, including the preference to always rerender after a view change so that the next time you change views it will ask you instead.

Jim,

I just tried deselecting "Always do..." and that did not solve the issue.

Art, on a Mac, Command 5 is plan view. It is the same as 0 on a keypad though my laptop does not have a numeric keypad. Command 5 is kind of a habit of mine going back to MiniCad 4.

To be clear, what just happened, I set my view to a perspective and began rendering final quality renderworks. I then stopped it with "Command ." Once the rendering stopped, I reset for plan view (Command 5) and the drawing began re-rendering in final quality from the original perspective. The view did not change, it just started re-rendering which is a bit inexplicable to me.

This file was started in an older version of VW but seems as though this should be a simple process and I have had similar issues with other files. In this case I have been paying attention to what it is actually doing and not doing since the scale of this project is so large.

Dave and Jim,

I tried a more recently created document and unified view was turned on and it worked as expected several times.

Looking at the document with the issue, Unified View was disabled. Once enabled, everything worked as expected, including jumping immediately to another view thus stopping the render. I had no idea that Unified View impacted that functionality.

Thanks for the help!