numpad doesnt work for changing views

- Draw 2 rectangles

- convert them to nurbs surfaces

- mirror the surfaces with the mirror tool

- reverse the direction of the normals of the selected geometry

- try to change views with your numpad > not possible :(

I think this is not intended/bug?

Can somebody verify this?

(wish: normals don't change sides with mirroring. I don't know a situation when you would want this)

Edited by Bas Vellekoop

It's even worse...

When you do a duplicate mirror and reverse the duplicated normals the numpad works, with or without changing the direction of the normal

With a non-duplicate mirror it does not work as mentioned above.

So I tried with a normal NURBS curve, without any mirroring and tried with original direction and reversed direction. It had trouble with the numpad too with a reversed direction.

So I tried again with a rectangle converted to NURBS surface, again without mirroring but with normal and reversed direction.

It appears if the direction is clockwise, the numpad will work for setting the view. Once the normal is counter-clockwise the numpad will fail for setting a view.

However, if you move the objects a little when the normal is in a direction where the numpad does not work (i.e. counter-clockwise), then the numpad works again for setting a view direction after this move of those objects.

(I've submitted the info from Bas and the above in a bug report)

For me this doesn't work as well, duplicate mirror > reverse normal > cant change views with the numpad

Did you leave the originals in or did you delete those prior to using to using the numpad?

When left it, it worked for me, but given the issue I can imagine that if they were deleted before using the numpad then the issue may still persist.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I could not replicate this on 2016 SP3, however I would like to confirm the exact steps I took:

1) Draw two rectangles in top/plan with the rectangle tool

2) Select both rectangles via marquee selection

3) Modify > Convert > Convert to NURBS (Results in a group)

4) Ungroup

5) Select left rectangular NURBS curve

6) Model > 3D Power Pack > Create Surface from Curves

7) Select right rectangular NURBS curve

8) Model > 3D Power Pack > Create Surface from Curves

9) Select both surfaces

10) Mirror tool to mirror the objects over a 45 degree line to the right of the surfaces

11) Click "Reverse Direction" in the Object Info Palette

12) Attempted to use numpad, it kept working as expected

I also tried mirroring in different orientations and using the duplicate mirror mode in addition to non duplicate, but the numpad kept working for me, but I suspect my method of converting might not have been the same as yours.

If someone could post a short video replicating it, I would be grateful.

Jim, try doing steps 1-4 then 9-12 before using the create surface from curves (steps 5-8) because the issue is with the NURBS curves direction (clockwise vs counter-clockwise) that seems to generate trouble with using the numpad.

i.e. if you do this (1-4 and then 9-12) first and then want to create the surfaces through the 3D power pack (5-9) then there is a problem with the numpad. Doing it the way you did does not create a problem with the numpad on my end either.

btw, the rectangles can be used to create surfaces directly and it will result in the rectangles becaoming NURBS curves. Doing it that way does not generate a problem with the direction of the curve and numpad.

That being said, even if you draw a NURBS curve and change the direction to counter-clockwise (and do not move the curve in the process) it "blocks" the numpad for some reason, until either the direction is set to clockwise or the NURBS curve is moved a little, then the numpad use works again.

0 shortcut 4 for rectangle

1 draw 1 rectangle

2 shortcut: ctrl + alt + k > nurbs surface

3 mirror tool: duplicate mode, just a random angle

4 reverse normal in OIP

5 try to change views with the numpad > not working

Above are all the clicks/steps i use, so no extra clicking anyware on the screen involved.

(i thought somewhere in office 2010 you can create screen vids, but couldnt find it so fast)

Edited by Bas Vellekoop
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Got it, looks like the Object Info palette is stealing and keeping focus for those keys specifically after hitting that button, I'm able to get control back if i deselect or manually change views with the menus first but that shouldn't be needed. Submitting request now.