Line Light

Guest BillV

Guest BillV

I have found the Line Light feature very useful for LED strip lighting in Interior Design - especially kitchens.

In 2016 it produces a very uneven light. In earlier version this was more even.

Any comments Jim ?

i found the same but i suggest you make a model of the line light

say a 10mm dia tube or whatever shape you want the light to emit from and then add texture with glow

i usally have a white texture and then add the glow but you can use any colour in the settings

theres a very good you tube video

play around with this its much better than a line light

you may have to bump the amount of glow you give the texture i sometimes

put mine up to 600 but maybe start of low and render to see the effect

but i feel it gives a more natural and even spread of light

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Glow textures are what I recommend as well:

Line and Area lights had always been unreliable for me, they're basically an older holdover object that randomly add point light sources along a path or within a given area and often you have to turn the quality settings way too high to get them to work, Glow texturing is much easier and renders much faster in my testing.

You can also duplicate point or spot lights along a path if you want distinct points of light rather than a solid glow, as is the case in some LED lighting strips.

Point lights are fine, the render increases especially depending upon indirect lighting.

Glow is fine but I would use point lights, in fact for almost all types of lighting with PS post processing to add a nice glow around the light. The point light set up would be smooth falloff to make sure you don't get the flare around the point light. Also making sure you don't have the point light too close to an object or you get a blotchy mess.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Also making sure you don't have the point light too close to an object or you get a blotchy mess.

^^ This is extremely important to keep in mind. It's easy to duplicate a bunch of lights along an edge or surface and forget to move them off of it before rendering.

• 3 years later...

I've been trying to get the glow texture this to work and am not having any luck. This window is what I want to use as a light source:

image.thumb.png.345261592f1472f45587f6b34a3bc358.png

And these are the texture settings I'm using:

image.thumb.png.85985c837c25b61615704e761a4b43a0.png

Even when I do a final render, the window just stays orange and emits no light.

Edited by Alex M