Section Viewport Question

When I create a section viewport from the active design layer to another design layer I get a nice section viewport.

When I create a section viewport to be on the active design layer all I get is a little red box with an x inside.

How can I get it to be visible? The OIP says Section Viewport.

If this isn't possible, why is the same layer not greyed out in the creation dialog?

Any help? The Help didn't help with this issue.

Thanks

Hi,

some reasons for getting an empty red box can be:

- viewport is not updatetd ( press red update button in OIP )

- depth of section viewport does not intersect with any objects ( in OIP Advanced Properties )

- selected classes or layers are empty or not visible

- viewpot is cropped and the cop-box marks an empty space in the drawing

hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the reply.

I tried updating. no joy.

already tried full depth even though plenty of object are sectioned. no joy

it's only one layer. I should add that in the OIP layers menu, that very layer is not listed for some unknown reason. it was active and visible when SVP was created.

not a crop.

Edited by bc

Hi,

some reasons for getting an empty red box are:

- viewport not updated ( press update in OIP)

- section depth does not intersec any opbjects ( Advanced Properties on OIP )

- Layers or classes of the viewport are empty or not visible

- the viewport is cropped and the crop selection marks an empty space in the drawing.

hope some of this helps :)

Could it be that the section viewport is within the section area itself so that you get a kind of circular reference?

i.e. it tries to generate a section view of (part of) the section viewport and results in an error.

Not sure if that is even a possibility as I normally don't put section viewports on the same layer as from which the section view is generated, but your comment on no issues if the section viewport is on a different layer makes me consider the possibility of some kind of circular reference issue.

Art V,

You might be on to something.

I have a design layer with a bunch of objects on it.

When I want to create a section viewport of those objects on THAT same design layer, I get the tiny red box.

My intent was to evaluate certain juxtapositions butif I have to do it on another layer so be it.

In the past I have used Cut 2D and 3D sections which automatically create their own design layers to be on.

I have also created section viewports of viewports and cropped detail viewport but I just thought I should be able to do this.

If not why is the design layer present in the creation dialog?

upon further review:

Ok within the section viewport creation dialog, I get the pull down menu to Crete on Layer: and my layer is in there.

Down in the Layers Visibility menu the layer is NOT even an option available. All other layers are present and available for selection but not the one I'm on.

So I guess I can't get there from here.

Edited by bc
I have a design layer with a bunch of objects on it.

When I want to create a section viewport of those objects on THAT same design layer, I get the tiny red box.

I don't think VW likes that. It wouldn't allow me to create one on the same layer I was sectioning and when I cut and paste one onto the same layer it was sectioning it became a red X. You'll also notice that when you edit the Layers for the section viewport, the layer list doesn't include the layer containing the section viewport.

Usually a red X it means there's nothing to display. Other reasons it can occur include -

- layers and classes turned off in the section viewport so there are no objects available to display.

- no section-able (ie. 3d) objects on the layer you're trying to section.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

I have also created section viewports of viewports and cropped detail viewport but I just thought I should be able to do this.

If not why is the design layer present in the creation dialog?

upon further review:

Ok within the section viewport creation dialog, I get the pull down menu to Crete on Layer: and my layer is in there.

Down in the Layers Visibility menu the layer is NOT even an option available. All other layers are present and available for selection but not the one I'm on.

So I guess I can't get there from here.

This sounds to me it might be a bit of a bug in the sense you you can select things you should not be able to select for creating a properly working section viewport.

Maybe Jim can give a bit more definitive answer on this.

You'll also notice that when you edit the Layers for the section viewport, the layer list doesn't include the layer containing the section viewport.

Kevin

My thought exactly, but why would the Create on Layer menu include this layer?

Yes Art V it's probably that kind of a bug based upon unforeseeable VW work methods.

But again it must be the need to have off layer referencing?

One CAN have a Section Viewport of a Design Layer Viewport on that very same layer but not otherwise.

Edited by bc
  • 4 years later...