Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

changing textures

barkest

Hello barkest,

I'm not sure what you re looking for. Do you want to change the definition of the texture or assign a texture to an object.

The second point can be done very easy with the Texture Node.

Do you mean Object Info Pallette with op system? Theres a node which creates a texture popup in the OIP.

Edited by Patrick Winkler
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'm guessing Barkest means how to edit textures themselves, modifying shaders and source images as is a very common UI element in other 3D modeling applications.

This is something I requested immediately upon seeing the Marionette interface, as it makes adding multiple layers of shaders or other texture components in a specific order much easier to understand.

Like this:

noodles.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

sorry it was a bit vague but I was on my phone when the thought popped into my head.

Jim's answer is what I was looking for plus the ability to actually swap the texture. In this case the user would supply the name and folder location of the new texture (the one to use instead of the current one). Then all the shader properties could be added.

Better still the ability to search folders and use a selected texture, and be asked for shader properties such as transparency, refraction etc.

Is the answer that this is 'do able'?

thanks

• Marionette Maven

Jim's example is very complex, and not currently how things are set up, but it's being looked into.

I'll venture to say that locating and replacing a texture is doable, but I haven't actually tried it out.

Searching folders and being prompted for shader properties is a maybe at the moment. I think I began looking into it, but didn't get as far as I wanted to... and then more projects came up.

I can definitely re-explore, textures are pretty complicated within Vectorworks, though, so I'm not sure as to how detail specific we can get.

It's on my list (again) :)

thanks Marissa

Its an area that I would explore but I did not want to spend a lot of time only to find out its not possible at the moment. In reality we do an enormous amount with textures and trying to automate a lot of it would be very beneficial.

thanks again