New Forum Solution - What would you want?

Important for me is that email Notifications of watched posts come

only one time, until you logged into the Thread again.

Many forums have user-configurable preferences to accommodate a range of needs. I like systems that offer each forum user a range of choices:

• Instant email notifications to every reply in every watched thread, OR

• Daily, or weekly: 1 Summary email notification per watched thread, including headlines for all replies on that watched thread, OR

• 1 weekly summary notifications of ALL watched threads, i.e. just 1 email per week listing which threads have changed, but not showing or summarizing the individual new replies on those threads.

Some forums go so far as to allow this setting individually for every watched thread, but to me just having a single global preference would be fine.

Edited by Gilbert Osmond
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I want to eventually have the search tie in to every knowledge repository. Ideally, one search should be able to pull useful results from the kbase, community board and the Vectorworks Help, (while still letting users choose if they only want to filter out one type of result in the search options of course) you shouldn't have to go digging around multiple pages to get the info you need.

It's looking like we will definitely be able to implement a solved/best answer system as well, which is excellent news. They can save a ton of reading and encourages lengthy and detailed discussion in any thread by contributors at the same time as it makes finding answers faster for people that are just dropping by.

I want to eventually have the search tie in to every knowledge repository. Ideally, one search should be able to pull useful results from the kbase, community board and the Vectorworks Help, (while still letting users choose if they only want to filter out one type of result in the search options of course) you shouldn't have to go digging around multiple pages to get the info you need.

Since most of the in-depth Marionette info currently lives over at the Developer wiki, you may also want to include that in the search results (with the ability to exclude as well).

Since most of the in-depth Marionette info currently lives over at the Developer wiki, you may also want to include that in the search results (with the ability to exclude as well).

That's something I had not considered, thank you! I suspect that would be possible as well. If not, automatically duplicating that documentation in a location that COULD be single-searched would be an alternative.

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

I've been working on a dark theme for the forums as a side project, but just wanted to get a little feedback on the current status. This theme would not be the default theme for new and existing users, the default will remain similar in color and style to the theme you currently see right now. Below are screenshots of a few UI elements from the proposed new dark theme option:

(Don't worry if you see an IP address listed for your name, it isn't yours. Since these posts were originally from the old forum platform, it listed everyone's IP address as the IP of Vectorworks Inc.)

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 10.21.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 9.29.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 9.29.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 10.18.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 10.21.32 AM.png

Just looking for thoughts and feedback for things I may not have noticed or considered. This is still very much a work in progress. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Markvl said:

What I like the most other than the the dark theme is the User info all brought to the left hand side.  Much less looking left to right.

Fortunately, this is planned for the default light theme upgrade as well. I like it too, I think it makes things more readable in longer threads.

3 minutes ago, rDesign said:

Additionally, I would like the default (non-dark) theme to incorporate the same design changes as the dark mock-up. I like having all of the user info compactly clustered over at the left hand side.

It absolutely will! Most likely (read: 99.999% positive) the only differences between the dark and light themes will be color changes.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

This theme would not be the default theme for new and existing users, the default will remain similar in color and style to the theme you currently see right now.

5 minutes ago, JimW said:

It absolutely will! Most likely (read: 99.999% positive) the only differences between the dark and light themes will be color changes.

That’s good to hear, I guess I was confused by your earlier post that the ‘default will remain similar in color and style to the theme you currently see right now’.

12 minutes ago, rDesign said:

‘default will remain similar in color and style to the theme you currently see right now’.

Yeah... I did say exactly that didn't I? Lotta discussions internally on fonts and colors and buttons recently, my brain is in need of... defragmentation.

4 hours ago, JimW said:

Here's how the Light one is shaping up, to clarify: 

I like this light version way better than the dark theme. Mostly because the contrast between background and text is too low in some areas of the dark theme making it less comfortable to read.
Other than that I do like the layout of the mockup, it's better than the current layout in several ways.

20 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The contrast between the hairline boxes and the background is much better on the dark version than the light. I wish they were a little darker in the light version.

Kevin

Agreed. Tweaking and making it a bit clearer:

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 9.30.39 AM.png

15 hours ago, Art V said:

Mostly because the contrast between background and text is too low in some areas of the dark theme making it less comfortable to read.

I've been feeling similarly, I may still tune the font color.

10 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

@JimW - is there any way to make it so that when you click on a PDF attached to a post, it opens in the browser as opposed to it downloading to your hard drive?

I will look into this! I had messed with it a bit early on, but I'll have a lot more control when the new themes go public.