Hardscape Object - 3D set to "Pad" only works for Proposed, not Existing

Why is it that Hardscape objects with 3D attributes (such as Pad or Texture Bed) can apply only to the PROPOSED site model?

I want to be able to modify the *existing* site with Hardscape objects. I know I can just create separate site modifiers & manage the existing site that way but it seems like extra work. Why not have the same "Apply to: Existing / Proposed" drop-down for Hardscape objects 3D-display as there is for Site modifiers?

Is there an easy way to work around this?

Thanks.

Edited by Gilbert Osmond
  • 1 year later...

I've delved further into this issue. It appears to be an oversight in VW's development process, i.e. someone simply forgot to include the "Existing/Proposed" toggle in the parametric Hardscape object.

- I called VW support & a tech reproduced the issue.

- We tried to work-around by attempting to right-click and Edit the internal properties of the Hardscape object, but to no avail -- there's no way to display or edit the Site Modifier object that is presumably hiding somewhere inside the Hardscape Object.

- He said he'd double-check with other support staff, then submit this as a feature request / functionality fix for a future update.

Attached are screen shots:  The Site Modifier object can be set to apply to the Existing, or Proposed  site model. But the Hardscape object cannot. (!) 

The work-around is clumsy: Set the hardscape object to be a Slab (which does not modify the site,) then copy the hardscape object shape, paste it elsewhere, Ungroup it & remove any slope tags, then use Create Objects From Shapes... to create a Site Modifier object from that hardscape object shape, then configure the Site Modifier object slope(s), & apply to Existing/Proposed site model setting, then move the Site Modifier object onto (aligned with) the Hardscape slab object & group the two together.

When dealing with 10 or 15 slabs across a model this is time-consuming & a nightmare, esp. if any of the Hardscape Object slab + Site Modifier groups need editing. Requires temporarily Ungrouping the group, editing the Site Modifier object only, regrouping, etc.

Attached screen shot shows where the "Existing / Proposed" exists in the Site Modifier OIP, but not in the Hardscape OIP.

I can't believe more people haven't complained about this. How does anyone sanely model an as-built site without being able to use Hardscape objects and have them apply to the existing site?

599ca18d72ef0_ScreenShot2017-08-22at2_07_59PM.jpg.f89936f42270c49c9375e17c8c37aa93.jpg

599ca18ea7cd4_ScreenShot2017-08-22at2_15_10PM.jpg.b405cec2dd3721ba4a2dab670393a1bd.jpg