Door Tool Modifcation

Is it possible to modify the door tool?

The office has a specific way it likes to show doors. It likes to show the door completly closed then show the open condition dashed. I do not believe there is a way to do this with the current door tool, but I do not think it would be too hard to program that in (for somebody who knows vectorscript). It is possible to modify the door tool to do this?

Would anybody be willing to submit a proposal to build us that capability?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Currently no, the built in tools like Door and Window are locked and cannot be directly modified by users. There have been many proposals for easier creation of custom PlugIn Objects, but so far this has advanced only on the Marionette front.

• Marionette Maven

Here's my progress so far.

This allows you to just run the script and it will look for any doors that already exist in the drawing, for simplicity. That way you still get all of your door options, and the swing is just added on. This does conflict with the hybrid aspect of the door, these lines will show in 3D view as well as 2D. Maybe classing them could help for final drafts?

Looking into showing the door thickness, checking the swing configuration, etc.

I'll keep working on it when I can. (I'd be careful using this script in a file that you're really working on because if you have any configurations other than Swing Simple, it's not going to be accurate on those doors... Plus it's just not done :) )

So essentially, the bulk of the math is done, just need to refine it.

Let me know if there are any configuration types in particular that you want me to focus on, since I'll have to do them individually I think.

Note: The error is due to setting attributes with the Attributes node, because there isn't currently handling to not try to assign fills to lines. It can be ignored, the script still runs to completion.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14614&filename=DoorSwingClosed.PNG

Edited by MarissaF

You can just change a few settings to get what you want.

This is by class but you can do it by object or line type also.

But to leave the solid door in I think you will need to draw a rectangle.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Alan.

Thank you. Yeah - we knew we could either show the door closed and draw in the dash - or show the door open and dashed and draw in the closed. What I am trying to do is move people away from this type of manual drafting and to use the parametric tools as much as they can.

If you had to manually draw every door - we might as well just have custom symbols.

If Marrissa can pull this off - at least we can just run her script rather than having to manually put in the closed or open condition. Really I want to convince people just to accept a new graphic standard - but for some reason this is important to them.

Thanks!

• Marionette Maven

I'm running into an issue where I can't figure out which direction the door swings, which is unfortunate.

I do have it working with Bi-Part now, and I suppose the worst case scenario is that you'd have to mirror the drawn-in swings...

I'll keep poking around to see if I can figure out a way to see where the door swings from though!

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14623&filename=DoorSwingClosedwBipart.PNG

Edited by MarissaF
  • Marionette Maven

Yes, I did this with Marionette.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to help you with your frame challenge! The biggest problem right now, in my opinion, is that dimensions are returned as strings when you get the record information, so I'm trying to get around to writing a node that will convert those strings to proper dimensions. Once I get that figured out, I think many things will be MUCH easier :)

Edited by MarissaF
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Localization is WAY more complex than it appears. I think that was the major reason WinDoor limited itself to Aus/NZ.

It's also the main reason the US support staff has to redirect users to their distributors. We dislike adding the extra step but we've chased our tails trying to nail down issues that just didn't exist in our versions and vice versa dozens of times.