Is this a new error message?

Ion,

Did you get that while using a beta version or within VW 10.1.2 ?

The message is to alert you of an unstable situation wtih the OS. It could be memory related or it could be OS related. Most of the problems people are having wiht files getting corrupted when saving, or the application quiting is cuased by one of the above two items.

THis message gives you enough time to save your work and close VW. Retart the computer and launch again, hopefully wihtout posing corruption to your file.

[ 05-28-2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Hi Katie,

This came up after you and I talked the other day about the "too many files ofpen..." issue. This is on the same machine, and happened two work days after upgrading this user from VW 10.1.0 to 10.1.2 and OS X 10.2.4 to 10.2.6 (combo install not incremental) I ran the gamut of repairs and checks prior to the upgrade and then again after the upgrade was complete.

So no, no beta version of anything

OSX 10.2.6

733Mhz G4

1 Gb RAM

46+Gb available on the drive

this was one of the users having problems with corrupted files/not the one with the most, but several...

ion

PS: I have one user who is getting the long extension lines on arcs that appear only when printing. 9.5.3 os10.2.4???

[ 05-28-2003, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: ionw ]

I am still waiting on confirmation on whether this was dropped into VW 10.1.2 at the last minute or not. I thought it was only in the betas, but looks like it's in final as well.

Basically what happens is VW detects some level of instability and throws that to you before you file gets corrupted - which usually happens upon saving the file. Sometimes the backup file is hosed too.

When you get this message, you should - as it says - save the VW file and close VW asap. If you wait long enough you'll get another message and if you wait longer you'll either crash or corrupt the file when it's saved.

Be good to the error messages !

DO you happen to know what you did right before you got that message?

Did you try to print, access the page setup or print menu, do something crazy in the program?

Hi Katie,

She had sent a couple files to print right before this popped up. We know about keeping files open until they are coming out of the printer. I don't believe there was any other crazy thing she had done. I might be able to see what she did prior to printing.

ion

As of VW 10.1.2 you shouldn't have to leave the program active or in the focus.

OKay so you did print right before this.

This is pretty much what everyone has done right before they get this message.

We've been able to track down the instability problem to something that happens right before printing, durring printing or right after printing, I think. At least, that's the way I understand it.

It's still a new theory.. there's always potential for something else.

THanks for the tips.

** IF anyone else gets this message, please keep track of what was done prior to getting the message and send it in to me for tracking purposes. At least until otherwise informed.

If you get it when doing something OTHER than printing, it's especialy important to let us know.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

AWESOME! That would be the handiest thing to have, just like a save reminder! Instead of guessing, or using my psychic connection with the computer to determine when it's going to die, I'd actually be told! I don't know why the message -- written to say that something is wrong with the APPLICATION -- was intended to indicate a problem with the OS, but the app has problems 2000 times more often than the operating system.

Can you guys implement this as a feature? Please?