Class Text style colors

Benson Shaw

Question

In a new drawing

•Create several new text styles with various fonts, sizes, colors & other characteristics.

•Create several new classes w/ Use at Creation enabled.

•Assign one of the new text styles to each of the new classes. Enable Use Text Style at Creation in the class definition.

On a design layer create a word or short line of text in the default None Class.

Set all attributes to By Class

OIP Text Style setting indicates

Text is black

All as Expected.

Until . . .

Select the text and toggle the OIP class setting to one of the new classes.

1. Object acquires the new font, size, etc, everything except the style color.

2. OIP indicates unstyled text.

3. Change OIP text style to Class Style. Text color changes to style color.

Toggle to another new class (it has a different text style).

1. Text acquires all the text style settings except color.

2. OIP reverted to Un-Styled Text

3. Change OIP text style to Class Text Style to acquire the class color.

Wishes

For any selected object

A.1. OIP text style option remains on most recent user setting for that object until user changes it.

A.2. Vectorworks remembers most recent text style setting for every object.

B. Selected object acquires all class text style settings including color when a new class is assigned.

-B

6 answers to this question

OK, I think I made it work. Couple things in play:

For selected text or dim object in the design layer

1. Remove By Class settings in the Attributes Palette.

2. In the OIP, set the text style to Class Text Style.

Seems that By Class settings in Attributes can override Class Text Style settings.

Disabling the By Class attributes allows the OIP Class Text Style to stick.

But it's still a bit uncertain.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I see this as a bug, even when the text is selected and the class it changed, the prompt explicitly ASKS the user if they want the text object to take on the "graphic attributes and text style" of the new class, so for the text to revert to UnStyled is entirely inappropriate and instead the text object should have taken on the text style of its new class, correct?

What appears to be happening is that the text style is applied to the text first, THEN the attributes, as when you select a styled text object and change the fill color in the Attributes palette, the color changes and the text reverts to Unstyled. Should the style not override the attributes in this case?

I've had this problem for a long time actually. It seems impossible to get text styles to stick. My specific use case is including a styled by class text object that's linked to a record format in a set of hybrid symbols. Just editing the text style (changing font size, etc) will un-style all of the text objects in each of the symbols.

Yes, the text styles can use some improvement. Any change to text makes it apparently lose the attached text style but when updating the text style then that piece of text updates as well after all.

It's a bit annoying as you can never be sure whether a text style has been applied or not and if yes whether it is still attached or not.

Now that tech is going to look at this, I'd like to request that text styles assigned to a dimension style are honoured for all its settings, including text colour. That way it should hopefully be possible to have dimension text show in a different colour than the dimension lines.