Orthogonal Snapping

When working in Top, Front, Left, Right, Bottom and Back (Orthogonal) views, I REALLY wish when moving objects, especially when snapping to other objects, that they would ONLY move in a plane parallel to the screen. I don't know about anyone else, but I have absolutely no perception of the Z axis (or whichever axis is perpendicular to the screen) when working in orthogonal views. This also applies to dimensions: skewed dimensions from a point close to the user and another point much further away are not very useful.

The "Working Plane" snap mode might resolve this issue, but it doesn't persist once activated, and it seems it won't even persist if activated before, rather than after, a command, such as "Move by Points," has been activated (yet, oddly enough, when working in 2D, the Tangent mode of the snap palette is ALWAYS on by default, even though it's rarely desirable...). VWIS077

When working in Top, Front, Left, Right, Bottom and Back (Orthogonal) views, I REALLY wish when moving objects, especially when snapping to other objects, that they would ONLY move in a plane parallel to the screen.

I think everyone wants that except the software engineers for some reason..... :-(

As you say, there's no logic to the current implementation. Its sort of a bug....

KM

I agree that it doesn't work as well it should. All I can say for now is to make sure your active plane dropdown is set to Screen Plane instead of Layer Plane, particularly when moving objects. Once I realized that this actually affects moving things (not just creating things), my life got a lot easier. Still run into issues sometimes though...

If you're in a 3D view and trying to snap things together, that's when you'd want it set to Layer Plane.

Edited by AEB