Repeat Last Command Shortcut?

dontevenjoke

Question

21 answers to this question

Not sure if I got that right.

In ACAD worlds you need a use last command as commands

are exited after being used. (SPACEBAR to reactivate for me)

But in VW as in most Apps the Tool stays active until you revert

to selection or choose another Tool.

Or is it about doing the same action with the Tool as last time.

Like Copy 25 cm > Copy again 25 cm ?

I think this was possible in VW as shown in a german video

when manually creating a Stair.

I think it was done by activating "allow option-click in-place duplication"

setting and CMD+D key ?

And now I am doing hard to find different situations where that could

be also useful. Like Drawing a another Line with 60 cm length ?

(Would need start coordinates anyway ?)

Or Push Pull again 1 m ?

(Lock Distance should be an option inside the PPT)

Does someone have an example where it would be needed ?

• Dislike 1

An example could be Modify>Rotate>Rotate which does not have a shortcut, for things like that a repeat last command might be useful, i.e. tools/commands that do not have a shortcut and you don't want to mess with your existing shortcuts either. You may not always want to assign shortcuts to tools you don't use all the time but may use them repeatedly sometimes. Then a repeat last command option can be a timesaver (or just convenient)

• Dislike 1
On 1/28/2018 at 8:40 PM, zoomer said:

But still my problem is, things like Rotate stay activated and you can

CMD Select other objects in between. So you could rotate for 2 weeks

if you wish. And if you would change to another Tool, Rotate would not

be the last Tool used anymore.

Not ?

It is about repeating a command, not a tool which is what you are describing. E.g . the Rotate command through the menu bar has no shortcut assigned by default and ends after committing it and if you select the next objecti you have to navigate through the menus and submenus again. Because no operation has been done on other objects in the meantime, the repeat command would work in that case.

Ideally the repeat command could also have an option to just repeat the whole sequence (e.g. as with the rotate command (not tool) to also repeat the amount of rotation without having to use the dialog)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, zoomer said:

(BTW, the 2D Rotate Command - does work in "Screen Plane" only !?)

It should work in layer plane as well, at least it does for me.

It also works in 3D views, but only in single plane view (e.g. top, front etc) it works predictably like in top/plan view. In Isometric views it may not always rotate as you might expect.

On 1/29/2018 at 1:56 PM, Art V said:

It is about repeating a command, not a tool which is what you are describing. E.g . the Rotate command through the menu bar has no shortcut assigned by default and ends after committing it and if you select the next objecti you have to navigate through the menus and submenus again. Because no operation has been done on other objects in the meantime, the repeat command would work in that case.

Ideally the repeat command could also have an option to just repeat the whole sequence (e.g. as with the rotate command (not tool) to also repeat the amount of rotation without having to use the dialog)

I think for people that has never used Autocad/Rhino/revit this is hard to visualize this but boy, the productivity would go up like ten fold.

I'm trying to scale like 80 elements that for some reason were a group of text and shape. The scale tool has no shortcut which is already annoying but since I have no "repeat last command" I have to move the mouse, go to tools, go down to Scale which has no submenu, go into the dialog and move my hand from mouse to keyboard to hit enter. Then, select the next thing and repeat this 80 times. If I select them all and scale, they will move according to the center. If I had repeat last command in space bar is just one clic with one hand, two space bar hits and move to the next. Not having to move hand and eyes from mouse to keyboard to screen is a HUGE improvement and not only in productivity, but also on the eyes health. 

Instead of pointing me to a parametric way to do it or asking me why those elements were groups in the first place, why don't vectorworks just do this thing, put a repeat last command already for christ's sake. There are requests for this since 2006. How are you going to recruit Autocad users to VW being stubborn? just make it a little bit easier for people to transition and not give up the software.

end of rant.

• Like 2

I need this as well. Using the Combine Into Surface command a million times to create some graphics, and it's NO FUN pulling down the menu every time.

Also, I'm trying to create a shortcut for this command and I just noticed we can ONLY use CTRL, or CTRL + ALT, or CTRL + ALT + SHIFT as modifier keys... why not SHIFT alone or ALT or ALT + SHIFT?

As a c4d user, it would be really cool to see the breakout palette idea used as well.. both the split-off window and the "U" or "M" breakout menus. It creates a ton of possibilities for shortcuts when you only have a certain number of keys available.

Edited by ford519

Did this ever get implemented?

Searching around and there are a LOT of Wishlist entries - but nothing to show that there is a 'repeat command' key.

The 'scale' command is a great example but it really seems like in VW there are many commands that have so many mouse clicks through menus to get to.

Repeat saves drafting time - in Maya it's the 'G' key.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:15 AM, RafaelPernia said:

I think for people that has never used Autocad/Rhino/revit this is hard to visualize this but boy, the productivity would go up like ten fold.

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Thank's everybody 🙂

Unfortunatly, if no mistake, that doesn't work as I want, I often use the right click align function buit it doesn't appear in the edit "recent".

It appear if i use the function thru modify_align... as you can see in the video below 

thanks

• Like 1