Paul O

Lock palette positions

Question

basic tools palette - the red button to close the palette is right above where I have the pointer tool - so endlessly accidentally closing this palette and having to re-open it. (long running irritation)

Would be helpful if palettes could be locked in desired position.

Also having trouble with VW forgetting docked palette locations (despite having been saved to workspace) - requiring me to manually dock them all over and over again.

11 answers to this question

We would all love if you could lock the Basic and Tool Sets palettes. One of the most common groans in the office are when someone accidently closes a palette or drags it off the menu bar. Such a pain!

A reliable lock would be useful.

I did not care about my VW for more than one week.

Indeed I spend my time with another piece of software

and had a lot of fun. When I met her again yesterday,

sho got so angry that she pulled out all my nicely

docked palettes and threw them all at the upper

left corner of my screen.

You should use the new pallet docking feature. It fixes this. You get used to the window switching pretty quickly - and a little bird told me that we should see something like tabbed switching next release.

Agreed. Even with docking I still tend to close the Basic palette accidentally all the time. Generally once I set my palettes, I don't want them to move or would only want one or two of them to move, so id want per-palette locking rather than just a LOCK ALL PALETTES toggle.

Adding this thread to an existing request.

Potentially expanding this question...using VW on 2 monitors, with the Resource, Navigation and Working Planes palettes on the 2nd monitor.

Switching to any other software (Outlook, Chrome, etc) then back to VW, the palettes from the 2nd monitor are now over the drawing, and need to be moved back in the preferred position.

Palette Docking doesn't help...

Ideally, the palettes will stay where put.

VW2016, Mac 10.11.6

• Like 1

There is nothing worse than quickly clicking on a tool in the upper left of a pallette only to hit the "x" by accident.  Or accidentally moving a pallette and having to re-adjust everything.  We all have set "workspaces" for key shortcuts-- why not also be able to save and lock pallette layouts?

That's my wish!

• Like 1

Merging similar wish threads, I suggest any interested in this feature (I know I am) to upvote it at the top left of the original post. Thank you!

On 12/12/2017 at 8:37 AM, Jwilga said:

Or accidentally moving a pallette and having to re-adjust everything. 

Every day. This happens to me every single day.

Thank god my palettes tend to stay so far.

But what I notice and get irritated from is that my

Top Bar's "Render Long" choice and

Allow direct Numeric Input" NumBlock choice

diminish from time to time.

(After about every second start of VW ?)

On 9/20/2016 at 3:53 PM, ojardnas said:

Potentially expanding this question...using VW on 2 monitors, with the Resource, Navigation and Working Planes palettes on the 2nd monitor.

Switching to any other software (Outlook, Chrome, etc) then back to VW, the palettes from the 2nd monitor are now over the drawing, and need to be moved back in the preferred position.

Palette Docking doesn't help...

Ideally, the palettes will stay where put.

VW2016, Mac 10.11.6

I'm using Vectorworks 2019 IT on 2 monitors both on a mac and win 

Palettes are in the 2nd monitor as ojardnas

On mac docking palettes is really unstable with unpredictable results each time I stretch one of them or quit vw

In the picture Info and Navigation Tab became grey and was no longer possible modify them

Besides that palettes can't remember the position on the second monitor and come back to 1st one

It drived me crazy and had to finally undock them

Monitors have different size and pixels

Schermata 2019-02-03 alle 11.44.39.png