Hardscape Objects on undulating site model

Laura Stone

Question

We really need to have hardscape objects with component buildup that fit to undulating contours - something like a texture bed with 3D projection beneath. Even better if the 3D component acts as a site modifier allowing true cut and fill to be calculated.

I've just been watching Design Software Solutions' webinar and I can see that hardscape works fine if you have a very simple and straightforwardly sloped area to deal with.

Unfortunately that's rarely the case in real life, for instance usually if fitting to existing levels at the edge of a site or an existing building the slopes are going to be in many different directions and frequently undulating. Hardscapes such as tarmac and block paving do not have to slope to even gradients and frequently don't.

I'm being asked by clients whether I can provide BIM information on landscape buildups for some of my projects now and am having to tell them that I can only give them existing and proposed site models.

2 answers to this question

+++1! I completely agree. The ability to use the texture bed mode, but still be able to provide a thickness, and even a more complex profile (similar to walls) to a hardscape would help modelling speed and visualization.

The best example for us is something like paths with curbing. If the path undulates and has a raised curb, there isn't a great way to show this using the hardscape tool.