Error Reporting

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This topic is extremely important to me personally, but I suspect it is also important to a great deal of readers here. All software collects some level of information about its users. Both Vectorworks Inc and I agree that you should have control over what is collected. When Vectorworks communicates with our servers, we collect anonymous data about the type of graphics card your machine uses, your monitor resolution, and other information that helps us correct issues and identify new features. By default, this data is extremely limited.

Vectorworks users have control over the type of data included in user logs, crash logs, and “check for updates” actions. This article explains the various levels of information we collect so that you can decide whether submitting it to us to help improve the product is comfortable for you. The decision is yours; this article merely aims to inform you.

There are three levels of information that can be gathered, as determined by the Error reporting setting located in the Session tab of Vectorworks Preferences (Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences).The base level, “Send nothing,” occurs any time you run Check for Updates or when you activate an E-series version of Vectorworks. At this level, the following information is collected from your machine:

Vectorworks Version (Vectorworks 2016 SP2)

Operating System (Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9, etc.)

IP Address

CPU Type (Your computer's processor)

GPU Type (Your graphics card)

Graphics card driver version

RAM (How much you have installed total)

Language

Display Resolution 

Time Since Last Reboot

This minimal information is always reported to us, even when Error reporting is set to “Send nothing,” mainly because of its importance in tracking installation issues and resolving issues related to the operating system. This information is collected by almost any software package or operating system you use, and it is completely anonymous. 

The next level of information is additionally collected if you select "Send crash details." It includes detailed information mainly related to any crashes you may encounter when using Vectorworks. The following additional information is collected:

Session Time (How long you were using Vectorworks, starting from when you launched the application and ending at the crash)

Alerts/Events (Any time you got an alert in the Vectorworks message bar, or tried to perform an operation not permitted—triggering the "bonk" sound—when using a tool or command before the crash occurred)

VGM Details (What your graphics card was attempting to do at the time of the crash)

Workspace Info (What has been customized and the workspace’s original version)

This additional logging information, however, only comes to us in the event of a crash. If your application has not crashed, then the information is not sent to us at all. 

The maximum level of information we can collect is referred to as Usage Data or a Detailed User Log. Select “Send crash details and usage patterns” to permit sending this information, in addition to the rest of the data listed previously. The following additional information is collected:

Mouse Movement (Where your cursor moved to over time, to the level where we can exactly recreate mouse locations and actions taken immediately prior to a crash) 

Idle Times (How long Vectorworks sat unused between user actions) 

Tools Selected

Menu Commands Selected

Settings Used

Undo Actions (The contents of what was undone/redone)

Check Object (What or when objects were selected and deselected)

Folder Structure (Where files or referenced files are stored and accessed by file name and path)

This level is the most personal, and although this material is collected anonymously, we fully understand that some users might not be comfortable sharing this data with us. This is why this option is disabled by default and must be selected by the user. This information is sent to us when you close Vectorworks; you may see an alert when shutting down that asks you to wait while the information is transmitted to our servers.

However, this critical detail provides us with priceless data on how customers work with the software, without requiring you to do anything but use the application. Users who select this option assist with the development of Vectorworks software, for the current version in the form of Service Pack fixes, and for future releases. We encourage you to enable the maximum level of error reporting, but recognize that the decision is yours to make.

If you have any questions about what is or is not collected or if you need any clarification of anything posted here, please feel free to ask. This information will also be located and updated HERE.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Regarding max Usage Data collection:

1. If Vectorworks is open in background are mouse and key actions in other software recorded and reported? eg alternating vwx/Safari/Preview/AdobeReader to make or examine forum posts, check email, etc.

2. When report is made at closing, what is effect of slow internet connection? Is(mine is sometimes below dialup speeds!) Is this max report a big package? Will Vectorworks prevent closing down until report is completed, and also prevent system shut down until report complete?

3. Similarly, what if internet connection is off when Vectorworks is closed. Will force close be required? Will force close even work? Will System shut down require force?

-B

Regarding max Usage Data collection:

1. If Vectorworks is open in background are mouse and key actions in other software recorded and reported? eg alternating vwx/Safari/Preview/AdobeReader to make or examine forum posts, check email, etc.

2. When report is made at closing, what is effect of slow internet connection? Is(mine is sometimes below dialup speeds!) Is this max report a big package? Will Vectorworks prevent closing down until report is completed, and also prevent system shut down until report complete?

3. Similarly, what if internet connection is off when Vectorworks is closed. Will force close be required? Will force close even work? Will System shut down require force?

-B

1) No, only when that input is directed into Vectorworks.

2) At the moment its not huge, but takes awhile to compile and then send. It WILL currently stop you from closing down Vectorworks which can subsequently stop the machine from shutting down until it finishes sending.

We intend to alter how this works so that shutdown times aren't impacted in future versions.

3) No, it should simply not upload the log until the next time the application is able to connect to our servers. Force close should not be needed, it should simply fail to connect and then shutdown as if user logging was not enabled.

• 4 months later...
On 19. Februar 2016 at 6:54 PM, JimW said:

Folder Structure (Where files or referenced files are stored and accessed by file name and path)

Why ?

Beside that VW doesn't even work when users use special characters in their OS X user names,
and these may also be a problem when used in paths ?

So I think you will also collect the file name ?

I had a software that extended their log files after 9/11 to things like
User Names, Paths, File Names, Projects Names ... which for me is more industry espionage than
software improvement related.

Same for IP.
I understand that VW wants to protect their software against unlicensed misuse.
I think a unique identifier by license number is ok.

But do I really want that VW logs wherever I travel with my VW on my labtop ?
Maybe all data even unencrypted over the internet.

Concerning VW comes from a country that has civil rights but no human rights and some
different approach concerning customer privacy.

Edited by zoomer
spelling
20 minutes ago, zoomer said:

User Names, Paths, File Names, Projects Names ... which for me is more industry espionage than

Same for IP.
I understand that VW wants to proteect their software against unlicensed misuse.

If intellectual property and/or privacy are a concern then the sending of information should be disabled or set to the absolute minimum possible. It is one reason why I don't like Microsoft Windows 10 still sending quite a bit of information despite setting it to the absolute minimum. Vectorworks minimum of collected information is something I can accept as they are upfront about this.

I can see the IP address being collected as a way to trace potential piracy, i.e. if a license is used in Europe, then two hours later in Asia and an hour later in the US etc. then it is likely that something illegal may be going on.

That being said, it could also be that VPN's have been used for securely transferring confidential files while Vectorworks is still open.
Which begs the question if this is something that has been taken into account when monitoring IP addresses, as VPNs are increasingly used for secure communications between employee and company or between company office branches and/or clients.

I would really like to enable usage protocols for VW that they see which tools I refuse
to use because I think that they are bad, so they will think no one's interested in these
and they conclude the don't need any improvements ;)

On the other side,
nowadays, as soon my client's clients are a firm that consists of more than 3 employees,
I have to sign a NDA with potential penalty fees exceeding e^537857 times the budget,
if I don't clean my desk after work,
I don't want to see this information blown out in the internet from all sides ;)

Edited by zoomer
4 hours ago, zoomer said:

Why ?

Beside that VW doesn't even work when users use special characters in their OS X user names,
and these may also be a problem when used in paths ?

So I think you will also collect the file name ?

Same for IP.
I understand that VW wants to protect their software against unlicensed misuse.

But do I really want that VW logs wherever I travel with my VW on my labtop ?
Maybe all data even unencrypted over the internet.

Concerning VW comes from a country that has civil rights but no human rights and some
different approach concerning customer privacy.

If you don't want it collected, then turn it off. That is the point of the option.

Also, no nasty politics here.

10 hours ago, JimW said:

If you don't want it collected, then turn it off. That is the point of the option.

Also, no nasty politics here.

Oh, I misunderstand the "lowest Level" > "Send nothing" that sends the IP was inevitable.
I see now it could be killed by deactivating "Check for Update"

Yes I misread that too, assuming that even with "Send nothing"  basic information always gets sent from time to time, and not just only at activation and checking for updates. Maybe it could be worded/formatted slightly different so that it is more clear that if you want absolutely nothing to sent then after activation one needs to disable checking for updates even when "send nothing" is selected? Now it gets a bit lost in the blurb of text and can be misread/overlooked when quickly reading through the text. People tend to look at the captions and the items listed underneath to see what info gets sent and may miss this part. (I did obviously)

For me the level 3 is a no go as it may reveal confidential client information (e.g. project info because of used filenames) and using alias names for everything is not always convenient from a day-to-day working perspective. So I am glad we have the option to limit sending of data to exact defined categeries in a simple and straighforward manner (though explanation/description could be improved a bit as mentioned in the replies above).

At least it is much simpler to set than all the data sending options littered all over the place in Windows 10.

We want to eventually split it out so you can basically control it per-item, like a big ol checklist where you can pick and choose what you're ok with sending, but I don't know if thats anytime soon. The base idea being the more you can share the better, but we understand everyone lives in reality where NDAs are as numerous as Opinions.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a problem with the usage info.  I can see how valuable that data can be to VWX.

Would rather filenames / folder structure was not sent, but it's not a deal breaker for me.  I do often work on confidential projects (am doing so now), but there is no way you'd be able to tell I am working on a secret assignment to over throw the British shadow cabinet   just from the file name of my document.

(that was a joke)

• PVA - Admin unpinned this topic
  • 10 months later...