Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Examples scripting in other software

M_Evers

I have been looking around on these forums for a while now. And I am interested in using Vectorworks and Marionette. But I am also comparing it to Revit.

So I've found some examples of revit+dynamo and I would like to know if this is already/ will be achievable with Vectorworks and Marionette?

Maybe there are certain restrictions to Marionette I don't know off (project-size limits etc.). Having seen the marionette clips on youtube and the vectorworks website it's not clear to me if this is the goal of Marionette. It's not my intention to step on someone's toe, so don't be offended by comparing Vectorworks to a rival software title. I should mention, right now I don't use Vectorworks or Revit at all (still using Autocad), but I want to move forward.

Hi,

That's pretty impressive and as I understand the Enhanced Parametric Design with Dynamo Visual Programming for Revit and Autodesk Vasari has been around since 2011 so VW has a bit of catching up to do. I hope that that is where we are going with Marionette. I guess it comes down to the engineers and others to create the nodes and workflows that will allow us to do this.

This is the sort of thing DomC would relish if he had the inducement, as people like him and I am sure within Vectorworks are working towards.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi M Evers, Alan is right. Marionette definitely has the capability of doing these things - the only reason that we may not have samples of these things available is that no one has had a chance to do them yet! Marionette has only been available to all users since September and to beta testers less than a year, so we are still in the early stages of helping users to understand Marionette's full potential.

The important thing to remember is that Marionette is designed to be ever-expandable and creatively boundless - If a node doesn't exist that does what you want it to do, it can be built using existing nodes and the Python programming language.

It's good to hear that the team has high ambitions for Marionette. So I'm eagerly waiting for some nice (real-life) examples that showcase the power of Marionette. It's a pity the trial version has the save and export functions disabled (V15 NL-version)

I like this visual scripting, in comparison to just scripting. It seems more natural to me as a visual thinker.