Depth level for "show others in groups"

grant_PD

Question

14 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I imagine it would be best paired with the wish for the "breadcrumb" system to track the levels of a container object you are currently in. Not only could you click on various levels of containers in the breadcrumb string across the top, but also use that UI to determine how many levels out/up you would see "external" objects.

I'll put in for that as well. I was thinking a toggle key might not be ideal because of how MANY layers of containers I see users implement pretty regularly, but you're right it's probably more common for it to only be 3-4 layers deep and toggling through them would be just fine.

Interesting idea.

A numerical feedback like "Exit (8th Level from 24 of your) Solid Addition"

for the exit button itself would be great.

First, to show people what they are doing with their "Add Solid History" and similar.

Second, to keep overview of wanted temporary Group/Mesh Conversion Actions

to organize or heal geometry.

All good thoughts.

The breadcrumb idea helps experienced users navigate a nest.

New users might find it hard to comprehend if they are not familiar with multiple levels of containment. So makes the program more arcane, more difficult to learn.

The toggle button (and the bread crumb) requires mouse to/from the button which can interfere with drawing actions.

Key command for Toggle up/down in the nest is also useful.

+1 for implement the breadcrumb trail,the toggle button, and keys for both.

But I want to test all this before it replaces the current, slower nest review via multiple dbl click to enter a container or level and the button to exit a level.

Also, are we going to run out of one handed or easy keystroke shortcuts? We should reserve the easiest ones for common or usual actions. Letting go of the mouse is a slowdown. The 4 finger salutes are fun to think about, but are usually impossible with one hand. 5 keys anyone? Anyway, there are probably a few 1 and 2 key shortcuts still available (k? y?).

Voice commands? - Siri! Toggle through the nest until I say "stop". Display level indicator.

-B

I see a number of practical applications for something like it, i cant find my original at the moment but this was the general idea, perhaps something a little less bulky UI-size wise though:

[img:center]https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14444&filename=breadcrumb%20mockup.jpg[/img]

The idea being that you could easily choose what level to which you wanted to back out to, as opposed to the current two ways which are to go ALL the way back out or just one level back. This would also envelop other complex container-like objects such as Solid Addition/Subtractions, as well as situations where you're editing design layers from within viewports within referenced viewports and so on.

If the visibility element were brought in, I could see hotkey-clicking on a specific crumb to show or hide that level of geometry, or right clicking and selecting it from that crumb button as a choice something like the following:

"Show this containers geometry"

"Hide this containers geometry"

"Show ONLY this containers geometry"