Hardscape Objects outline cant display correctly

The costumer lines work perfect as shapes in classes.

However, when I create Hardscape objects with custom linetypes,the outlines miss out.I can see them when zoom in/out,that means, they are there,but just cant show up/print out correctly, weird... although solid line works perfectly in any ways only lines with break(eg:dash,dash-dot lines) miss out...

Any help please?

WIN 7.0

VW2014 SP1 Landmark

Edited by aozhouyyq1982

This is a scale issue. The line types are native to 1:1 design layer scale, so would display properly, as you found, if your view/zoom is close, say looking at an area the size of your hand or a letter size page. If you are viewing an entire, large landscape area in 1:1 scale, the gaps between dashes and dots will not display unless you zoom way in.

You are in luck if you are working in or printing a Sheet layer Viewport. The line types can be scaled:

•Select the Viewport

•View or Scroll to bottom of the Object Info Palette (OIP)

•Click the Advanced Properties button

•Adjust the Line Type scale

If you are working in or printing a design layer it's trickier. You can create a custom Line Type by adding a new Line Type resource to the Resource Browser with longer dashes and gaps.

Another recommendation is to initially choose design layer scale so that the site, or large portion of the site, fits within the intended print page size. Dashed lines and other line types then display as expected. But it's probably not a good idea to rescale design layers in an existing drawing. Some symbols, text, hatches and other objects do not rescale without individual adjustments.

OK, maybe others will have more solutions.

-B

Hi, Benson Shaw, thanks for help firstly.

See attached please. it shows my custom line setup, the linetype length is 200mm.

It still doesn't work, except when i set OIP linetype scale 0.001---it doesnt make sense though,as it will show as solid line.

Do you suggest i set up line length maybe 2000mm???

Edited by aozhouyyq1982

Experiment with this in a new file with a single design layer, just a few objects and a single Viewport in same scale as your project file.

You may have scaled the Advanced Properties in the wrong "direction". In the Advanced Properties, try Line Type Scale of 10 or 100 instead of .01. Anyway, the scale of the design layer and the scale of the viewport and the Advanced Properties settings all contribute to the display of the dashed lines.

Line Types comprised of dashes have controls for length of line and length of gap. This is accessed by Edit (right click) the Line Type in the Resource Palette. I suggest leaving the original resource intact. Instead, duplicate the resource and edit the dupe as basis for a new,custom resource with a new name. Apply the new Line Type as needed to objects in the drawing.

Line types that are not dash/gap geometry (eg Sine Wave, Circles, Cloud, etc) also have settings accessed via the Resource Browser (right click the Line Type resource). Options include page/world based scale, and edits to the geometry. These change the line type globally, including instances already placed in the drawing. Again, I suggest leaving the original resource intact. Duplicate and edit the duplicate as basis for a new custom resource with a new name.

But before creating a new resource, examine the Local Mapping settings for these non dash Line Types. In the design layer, select an object with the Line Type. Click the preference button in the Attributes palette. The button is a little square with wrench and pencil graphic. Enable the Local Mapping option in the dialog. Changes to these prefs and options affect only the selected object(s).

Adjust the Advanced Properties in the Viewport again as needed.

Good luck!! Post back if it's not working.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14387&filename=Local%20Mapping.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

Hi,Benson

Here is what i did:

1.set up two custom line types: first is 2mm line segment, second is 200mm line segment, same shape.(my linetype is geometry,page base-I draw them inside the linetype editor,see attached"2mm,200mm")

2.assign 200mm linetypes to first row of rectangles;2mm to second row. (See attachment please.)

3.gave them a hatch(see column 2). Everything works perfectly so far. you can see the linetypes show very clear, but they are just shapes with hatch,NOT hardscape objects.

4.I change column 2 to hardscape object. NOW you can see the problem. the outline disappeared...only when i apply a hatch to the hardscape object, the outline miss out. you can see column 4-hardscape object without hatch, the linetype works very well, like shapes in column 1.

Here is what I found:

Only when i apply hatch to the hardscape objects, the outline disappeared, even in the design layer screen-I cant see them after I gave them a hatch.

So I think it is not the scale issue, because when i change hardscape object hatch to "none" the line types work perfectly. my conlusion is: when i change the shapes to hardscape object, i cant use hatch+custom lines at the same time.

Not sure what is going on really, I blame the VW for now. :)

But still frustrated...

Hi,Benson

Here is what i did:

1.set up two custom line types: first is 2mm line segment, second is 200mm line segment, same shape.(my linetype is geometry,page base-I draw them inside the linetype editor,see attached"2mm,200mm")

2.assign 200mm linetypes to first row of rectangles;2mm to second row. (See attachment please.)

3.gave them a hatch(see column 2). Everything works perfectly so far. you can see the linetypes show very clear, but they are just shapes with hatch,NOT hardscape objects.

4.I change column 2 to hardscape object. NOW you can see the problem. the outline disappeared...only when i apply a hatch to the hardscape object, the outline miss out. you can see column 4-hardscape object without hatch, the linetype works very well, like shapes in column 1.

Here is what I found:

Only when i apply hatch to the hardscape objects, the outline disappeared, even in the design layer screen-I cant see them after I gave them a hatch.

So I think it is not the scale issue, because when i change hardscape object hatch to "none" the line types work perfectly. my conlusion is: when i change the shapes to hardscape object, i cant use hatch+custom lines at the same time.

Not sure what is going on really, I blame the VW for now. :)

But still frustrated...

Hi, aozhou

I think you discovered a bug!

I was able to reproduce the problem, and maybe have a solution.

Problem 1

Hardscape objects with Line Type pen style containing peaks or other non-dash geometry (default or custom) can be concealed by a Hatch Fill Style applied via the Attribute Palette.

Solutions:

•Do not apply hatch fill style via attribute palette.

•Apply hatch or other linework via the OIP Hardscape Settings>Joint Type.

•Use Attribute Palette for color fill if needed.

•Note - Some hatches have background color fill which overrides Attribute Palette solid colors, and conceals line geometry.

Problem 2 - BUG! See image.

A Hardscape object with non-dash Custom Line Type (peaks, zigzags, etc) AND Attribute Palette Fill Style of Hatch demonstrates a bug: The outline moves away from the object!

Solutions:

•Do not use a hatch attribute applied via the Attribute Palette.

•Apply the joint pattern via Hardscape tool Hardscape Settings>Joint Type dialog.

•Pick a Joint Type with no background fill color.

•Note - My sample file custom line type scale is World, rather than Page scale.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=14411&filename=HardscpAttribHatch.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your help. I think it is a problem of VW and you are right the outline does move away(FLOATING to random direction). I was not sure what were them, thought they are graphic card issue, as i can't select those floating outlines. But if you can see them also, I reckon it is a VW issue... BUG.

Here is my trick, I happened found yesterday, if you change anyone of point to arc polyline(you can still make them looks like straight line though), then problem solved!! give it a try, it works for me at least.

Hope this "trick" could help everyone... not perfect solution.

By the way, here is another problem,if you are interesting, but i have not found any solution. please see the link below:

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=223521#Post223521

Basically, the color of landscape area objects can not be controlled though view port class setting.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Received the file for the hardscape line style appearing offset. Was able to confirm it here and confirm its related to that line style, though nothing seems out of the ordinary about it. Altering page/world scale shows the same offset just sized differently, enabling border for the hardscape stops the offsetting, so the issue could be either. Adding info from this thread to the case, thank you.

• 5 months later...