Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

inserting a Marionette objet in a wall

the frog

hello Alan

No the object is not a symbol (see the file) the purpose is to get a multi choice showcase where deepness can be change in the OIP easily. Therefore it is important to be able to change the insertion point to be able to place the case where I want it, the frame being align, or in front of the wall. The next step will be to manage for the frame (cadre in the file) not to be taken into consideration at the minute it pops out of the wall.Then the wall would be against the sides.

excuse the mess in the script cleaning is on its way

Hi,

Not sure if I have this right but it seems that you could simplify the network a lot.

See attached file.

There is a rectangle node that Sarah put into one of her networks that gives the origin which is a time saver.

Watch Video here.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Alan thank you for the help

Yes you where right the script was a mess

I rewrote it completely starting with the famous “rectangle” and as well having the center of the visible part of the glass as non-moving point. This way the size of the showcase in the OIP is what you need to see and not the technical parts.

At the end the script is heavy because when you want to hold the glass at the right place you have to dig into the base and add some sides (cut as well) and everything is related.

At this minute I encounter:

- a “problem” with the rectangle and the center connection in the node. Applying a point 2 or 3d won’t change the rectangle place, it stays at the 0,0 of the plan.

Of course if you use the old code with “origin” in the script we are back to the beginning the insertion point is at the bottom left.

-I don’t know:

- how to change the insertion point of the resultant object

- how to change the insertion possibilities in the OIP for a wall

Thus to be able to decide exactly where my showcase is in the deepness of the wall (see picture)

Last thing; please untill this object is finished it is not to be shared. You can download it to test or play but not diffuse it Thanks

Hi, certainly no offence taken. :)

To get the hole to cut in I think you need to use hole geometry node from the skylight example but have not been able to understand how to use it yet.

Will look later or maybe some can break it out and place a simple box with a smaller hole and cut it into a wall.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell

No very strangely the marionette objects cuts the wall directly so I never tried to cut it another way. My next try is to get Marissa’s rectangle to move from the 00 position so I could put a 2d point at the beginning of the script.

At last I will add a 3d I don’t know what in front of the object with the Y in the OIP to be able to change the apparent place of the object.

THANK YOU Sarah

It is great

The object runs fine and I added an insertion point in the OIP. So now it moves inside the wall the right way.

The last bizarre thing comes with the textures. If I change dimension in the OIP being in open GL or render the glass texture switches to another randomly. If I change being in wired? (filaire in the French version) textures are kept the way they should be.

:)

Hi, Yes I notice that the textures change in a lot of different networks I run.

The thing I would like to happen with the insert in wall is the smaller section of the box should be the cut-out, but the overall symbol size seems to be the cut hole. Can a node be set-up to make this happen?"?

Thanks