Automated Text in Title Block - how to fix text box length?

JYA

Hello,

This is a little tricky to explain, hopefully this makes sense!

I currently have an automated title block set up. The title block is automated in a way that VW knows to translate the sheet layer as named in the organisation menu into the title block through the use of a simple text box.

That all seems to work fine. However, I would like to be fix the dimensions of the text box so the text does not extend beyond my title block, and I am unable to figure out how to do this. Presently the length of the text box depends on how long or short my sentence is, which makes things really frustrating, because sometimes the text runs over my title block lines when the name is too long.

Would ideally like to attach a screenshot here but not really certain how to do that either! Total noob haha.

Just wondering if anyone has encountered something similar, some advice would be much appreciated!

Janice

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Janice,

Maybe this will help...when you set up the Record for your total block, include a pound sign (I think the younger crowd calls it a hashtag???:-) at the end of the field name. See the attached screen shots.

You may have to include a "hard carriage return" when you are typing in the name in the title block editor.

You can see this in the screen shot - the field name for the Sheet Title S_Sheet Title_SD# is set up for text wrapping, the Project Tile is not...but it probably should be...;-) There are a couple of other fileds like the Design Firm name that are set up for wrapping...

Also, just as an FYI, if you could include your machine specs and Vectorworks version in your signature, this can sometimes help in getting right to a problem...

Oh yeah, to attached a screen shot, down at the bottom of the dialog box, there's a button "Switch to Full Reply Screen." See attached screen shot. Also the "New Reply" button at the top left sets you up to be able to get to the "File Manager" down in the bottom left in blue.

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To make SURE it works I normally go copy a return from a textedit window, basically open up Notepad or Textedit, hit enter/return a few times to move the cursor down the page and the copy one of the empty lines from the editing app and then paste it into the title block field.

It's very strange and something I recommended we remove as being a necessary workaround.

Thank you so much for the tips Wes and Jim!

I have updated my signature to show my computer and program specs (I think) so hopefully it'll show up!

Maybe I'm not that young either, as I recognised the term 'pound' :)

For some reason it didn't work. Maybe I am not doing something correctly? I have included some screenshots to demonstrate.

I put a hash tag in the end of the record format

Then I also 'hard carriage returned' in the title block editor (I had to google this terminology and I assume it means pressing return twice?)

I also tried Jim's recommendation of doing this in text editor, then pasting the empty line back into block editor but to no avail...

Not sure what I am doing wrong!

I think the solution to your issue is:

You need to edit the title block symbol, (2D Component) select the text block in question, drag the text block to the maximum length you want it to be, ensure that Text Wrap is ticked in the OIP, save and it should work.

You would think that would be the solution huh. But no many how many times I try, my symbol never remembers my text wraps and it simply reverts back to its original width... :tired:

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Janice,

Glad it worked out...the phrase "Carriage return" comes from the good ole typewriter days...

The carriage return actually well...made the carriage return...ding! Remember those?

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner