Landscape area tool crashes VW in 2015 & 2016

Damon

Hello All,

I'm having consistent VW crashes in VW 2015 and 2016 when I use the landscape area tool on drawings that I've brought forward from their original 2014 format. It has mostly been with files from an architect that has worked in 2014 or earlier, but it has also happened from files from a different architectural source. My local VW reseller has not been able to help; they were unfamiliar with the landscape area tool altogether, which was a disappointment.

I've tried deleting all of the imported information and the crash still occurs. I've covered all imported symbols to groups. I'm working on my own layers, created in V2016, so not on imported layers.

If I save the drawing back to V2014 and open in V2014, the crashing stops. It would be nice to be able to work in 2016.

I recognize that this may be a problem that originates with the architectural file, but it is this tool only that crashes. And it must be something in V2015 & 2016 as using V2014 on an imported V2012 file does not have this behaviour.

Any similar experiences or thoughts about the cause?

Thanks very much.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If that seems to be the cause, the best test is to create a new blank file, in that file use this procedure:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/790/Layer+Import

To bring all the geometry in from the crash 2014->2016 VWX file into the new blank 2016 file. Then, save that new file with a different name and try using the Landscape Area tool within it.

Jim,

Wellll, it sort of helped. I started a new drawing file, and imported only the design layers I created, using the layer import method you referenced in your link. The plant area tool still crashed the program. I opened another blank sheet, adjusted the scape and copied and pasted my two design layers (the same two design layers from the same source drawing) individually onto new design layers. In this file, the plant area tool does not crash the program.

There must be something, some feature that is causing the problem, but it remains true also that V2014 is fine with the file and plant area tool, and 15 & 16 are not.

I've had about 10 crashes this afternoon with this tool, and I'm likely getting sloppy in terms of keeping clear track of what I'm doing. I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

I'll report back when I've gone over things again.

Jim,

The crashing persists, and is consistent, even when the two design layers I created are imported, with the items/ objects, into a new blank file.

Further, If I delete everything from the drawing; all design and sheet layers and all classes (except 0 and dimensions, of course) and do a complete, scorched-earth purge and then save the drawing with a new name, I still get an immediate crash with the landscape area tool. On the wiped-clean drawing, I get the settings/ option dialogue box before the crash, but the crash occurs every time.

If there are no objects a drawing, and the only design layer has the default name, I don't see how a corrupted object can be causing the crash.

My brief optimism in my post above was also faulty.

Any thoughts? Any interest in a crash log?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, make sure to get the logs to your support representative:

http://www.vectorworks.net/international/

This is most likely what they will ask for:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1092/Sending+in+Crash+logs+%28Mac+OS+X%29

However, since it isn't happening in new files, it may be file specific and not something that can be patched easily.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

I have been working with my VW provider, and with my drawing file and crash log he has been able to reproduce the problem. Nem. has also been able to recreate the crash.

It appears to be related to drawings with elevations and wall heights set for design layers; in this case, a file I received from an architect had some likely unintentional elevations set. Some were negative. For whatever reason, the landscape area tool did not like this, even when drawing on new design layers I created with an elevation of 0.

Nem. is going to correct this in the next SP release.

Thanks for your help.